Ambush Torch?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by walt_of_the_walts, Jul 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Perusing a copy of PAM 5, I came across this rather bizarre bit of kit, the Ambush Torch.

I've never seen or heard of them before. Are they a rather new thing?

Then it got me thinking: Since using Pyro in the ACF is tantamount to Witchcraft, could my sector get these instead? (Added bonus, no need to have attended KGVI to set one up)

Anyone got the NSN, and any idea of what chance we have of getting them?

2. Could it be the politically correct name for a Trip Flare?

The americans use the word torch for some types of flares I believe.

3. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

No ive read the section refered to and it is quite obviously a torch in the conventional sense. I read about it 10 years ago so it aint new. Ive never seen one though im sure they live on a dark QMs shelf somewhere.
    The tactics for using it where very similar to those taught for trip flares though (for placement etc).
    Im sure some old crusty(ier) member will soon enlighten us!
  4. There is a battery operated ambush torch, which has been designed to replace the Trip Flare on exercises.

The Trip Flares are one of the items that we have a lot of trouble trying supply enough for Ex because of Op demands.

I've read the Pam on it, not seen it in real life yet.
  5. Had the ambush light in catterick 8 years ago, hopefully it has been phased out because it was large, heavy and not particularly bright. Would be much better off with a few LLMs or failing that a large maglite
  6. Cheers CM. It looked like WW1 technology, and you've confirmed my suspicions!

Still, its better than 'No' trip flares, which is the current position so I will look in to it further.
  7. I remember seeing an article by an ACF instructor in some worthy training publication about how to make a trip flare substitute with a vehicle headlight and a 12v battery. I suppose today's super complex light clusters would make it more difficult to work along these lines? The basic idea must be worth thinking about, though.
  8. IIRC I remember they were made from anything torch related but best practice was to use a Landrover headlight (dismounted with a battery pack). I think laagers were positioned in this way (headlights and that?) for a while.

I could be wrong.
  9. Good ideas. thanks
  10. we used something similiar in training about 20yrs ago, they were called ambush lights, just lots of boxes (of lights) connected up to a car battery. not sure if they were just a training aide or the real thing though
  11. like Landrover headlights in metal boxes?? They were the real deal.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We had them issued to us in COP and were available with IR filters, great as we could man an ambush with everyone having NVGs and Paddy wouldnt know he'd been illuminated, saved shooting a few sheep that did!
  13. These are old school ish. My first Pl Sgt had one rigged up and set up many a time we took the lads for a BE/BL of a drill night saved on pyro though they weren't as bright as a Trip flare they did the job of initiating the ambush

There are 100s off f**k off big Tourches on the mearket try having a look at those and seeing what you can find