Ambulance Technician Careers?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Ritch, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Could anyone tell me what qual's you need to apply for a career as a ambulance technician? I've tried searching the net and its giving me no clear answers.

Thanks
    Ritch

2. My good mate runs these courses- *

Contact him (giving reference *)and ask away-

Let me know how you get on

3. Cheers Guys.

4. From an NHS point of view, very few services are training Techs any more unfortunately and many are no longer employing techs as new employees.

To answer the original question they were asking for the usual 4-5 GCSE/O-levels at C and above, though there were ways in for those with life experience.

Paramedic training for non Techs is largely University, frequently unfunded and takes two to three years. Entry the last time I looked required the same GCSE/O levels and an A level.

Continual DoH messing and an obsession with University education has completely fecked the training system within the NHS service. The only viable way in right now (if you have a mortgage to pay) is as a qualified Paramedic or Nurse. If you don't need the cash you can go in as a ECA, but you'll be looking at the Open university for at least four years to get to Paramedic registration.

SD

5. The University of Plymouth are starting a Paramedic Degree programme in September, See the below link for course details, the entry requirements are pretty much what has already been said.

BSc(Hons) Paramedic Practitioner

6. Or do the ambulance technician course, work for a bit then do an intensive residential course in a fraction of the time
    enquire using ref *

7. The Ambulance Tech course is being binned and being replaced by the Emergency Care Assistant. The Paramedic course will soon be the Paramedic Science Foundation degree and you have to have the C1 & D1 on your Driving Licence.

8. Iam an Ambulance Technician grade 4, and have been in the London Ambulance Service for over 8 years,i had no qulifications,and the jobs i did before included youth worker,social worker and ex 1 RGJ, once you join the ambulance service its just a case of getting stuck in with the training,its a lot to take in at first but when it all starts to come together it get easyer.
    At the moment they stopped the recuitment of Technicians, in most services,and started taking on Ambulance Support Assitants,(they are called many diffirent titles in different services) This means services do limited training of the crews,and let the Tecnicians and Paramedics already in the job do the A&E work,BUT this looks like its going to change back VERY SOON TO HAVING TECHNICIAN COURSES/TRAINING again in London, and the rest of the service may follow too.I do not know where you are but keep a eye on the NHS recuritment web and LAS web sites.
    When you do your training you are on 80% wages,so in a way you pay for your training,so you do not what to do it twice,by going to a privite company,unless you do not wish to work for the NHS.
    Its a great job as long as its not taken to serious,its not all blood and guts,most of its drunks,drug,and time wasters.
    Good Luck let me know if you want any more info.
    MAX