Ambulance Service to get body cameras

Or one set of phone film where his footage did indeed prove he aggressor committed a public order offence - but then so did he. Hoist with his own petard.

I find it quite amusing when I (often) log a complaint against police - review the log later and see a Sgt has looked at the BWV of the officer involved and it (mostly - Ive never actually seen one upheld myself) turns out the complainant was talking a load of bollocks and was lucky to have not been arrested etc.

They will then be informed of this and often make a further complaint demanding to see the footage themselves, and ask for a different Sgt than previous to deal with it. Its not normally your 'average scrote' who does this either -mainly people who consider themselves fine upstanding citizens who have brought themselves to police attention one way or another.

Recent example-Mrs Miggins is in a shop and upset about COVID compliance / facemasks etc. Kicks off and summons attention of passing cop and starts telling him the law etc etc.
My pet hate (after people leaving the vehicles with no fuel in) is people telling me how to do my job.

All of the below are actual conversations I've had with people.

I WANT HIM ARRESTED ! ....No, I will decide who gets arrested, thank you.

HE SHOULD BE CHARGED!...Someone will decide that later, but it won't be you.

YOU CAN'T ARREST ME!...Really, listen carefully to what I'm about to say.

YOU CAN'T ARREST HIM!..So why is he in the van in cuffs?

I HATE YOU!...I know you do, Dave. EVERYONE HATES YOU!...I know they do, Dave. EVEN YOUR WIFE HATES YOU! ...Oh, I know that, Dave, I just didn't realise you'd met her.*

YOU FAT, UGLY, BALD TW@T...I'm not fat.

The last two were caught on BWV and became something of 'station hits' until one of the boys chased 'big Debbie' down the road topless (her not him).

*The Sainted Mrs Devex (L/CPl Retired) bless her cotton socks, giggled for days when I told her that one

Last edited:
I'll be glad to have them - so far this year I've had two knives out and wiggling and a gun, well it turned out to be a starting pistol but I didn't know that in the dark. Recordings of such events would help a great deal in prosecution.

philc

LE
I know of a first responder, went to a body outside of a pub. The body had been dragged out so as not to involve the pub, so the body is on the pavement and the first responder gets him going again for want of a better word. Whilst doing his job saving a life, the conversation around was feck him he deserved it, etc etc etc., he also hears the landlord saying cheers lads for getting him out.

The body was turned off a few days later, the assailant got 8 years Manslaughter and the pub is still open.

Now a camera capturing all this would be marvellous, however does it make Crews more or less liable to violence.

That we are having this discussion is the most fucked thing.

Now a camera capturing all this would be marvellous, however does it make Crews more or less liable to violence.

My experience is that people are very different when there's the click of the camera. The CCTV on the mast 50m away are background. The camera in the face, which records words as well is a very different experience.

There again, some are going to go ballistic no matter what.

Indeed, it’s becoming more and more common. High Court Enforcement Officers, MOD Guard Service, even RNP now seem to have them so they will probably be the norm for all uniformed organisations in the future, like radios or safety boots.
You got something to do with my lot? I've just got in the station for night duty to find we're getting them! How dare they - they'll be able to see how long my naps are on observation platforms!

ISTR that when someone accesses an NHS medical record the system logs who, when, what they did and for how long, every single time. Even just opening a file without adding anything is logged. It was part of the the case against Harold Shipman, even in the late 1990s the software he was using was capable of secretly logged everything in the background, so when he went into patients records to change consultation details, trying to make out some innocent old biddy was previously showing signs of secret opiate abuse to cover the fact he'd later killed her with pethidine, it was logged without him knowing. I'd read something that access is audited too so someone accessing the record of a patient they weren't treating at the time is flagged up to management for investigation
This has always being the case with police systems like crime reports, criminal intelligence reports, let alone PNC. Everytime you log into a system and view a report, let alone imput into one it leaves an electronic trace. If there is case of someone famous or notorious coming to police attention and getting leaked to the press, police complaints will be asking you your reason for viewing the report. Woe betide you if you don't have a valid reason.

Will they get used for post incident reflection ie could we have done it better, used a different technique, show others how effective something can be etc?
No, not unless it is being presented as evidence at an inquest. The staff wearing the cameras have no access to the recordings, they are uploaded automatically to a secure cloud once back in the docking station and anyone needing footage has to go through the usual Information Governance procedures to access them.

The requests have to have a fairly tight timeframe on them relating to a specific incident so there’s no surfing the shift footage. Everything we do is time stamped in one or more systems so it is easy to be quite specific.

In the last couple of weeks staff in my area have been verbally abused, spat on, sexually assaulted and punched. The one thing that usually fails when it comes to charging and prosecution is a lack of evidence, these cameras are well overdue.

No, not unless it is being presented as evidence at an inquest. The staff wearing the cameras have no access to the recordings, they are uploaded automatically to a secure cloud once back in the docking station and anyone needing footage has to go through the usual Information Governance procedures to access them.

The requests have to have a fairly tight timeframe on them relating to a specific incident so there’s no surfing the shift footage. Everything we do is time stamped in one or more systems so it is easy to be quite specific.

In the last couple of weeks staff in my area have been verbally abused, spat on, sexually assaulted and punched. The one thing that usually fails when it comes to charging and prosecution is a lack of evidence, these cameras are well overdue.
That's an awful lot of medically valuable data being wasted.

That's an awful lot of medically valuable data being wasted.
It’s also a GDPR nightmare looking for somewhere to happen, everything we do should already be documented via an already secure system.

It would be great to sit down and learn from each incident, but that is simply impossible when you consider the work tempo.

Latest Threads