Ambulance Service to get body cameras

Countryboy

Old-Salt
BBC news link

Ambulance Service in England are to get the body worn video (similar to what security guards and police officers wear). Not exactly new that medics firemen etc get assaulted, so I think this is a rather good thing for the medics, so if a scrote assaults them, they can use it in court.

Wales and NI to possibly follow on.

Yokel

LE
And the patient privacy?

If they assault the paramedic then they waive that right surely? Also I imagine that bodycam footage may have training value. Ambulances already have CCTV I think.

I imagine Scotland that will do the same.

We've been assured that they have switch on off facilities....
We already get quite a lot of information on the pda if a patient has previous form.

Footage dealt with in the same manner as the copious notes we take on the patient. No one running to YBF with the footage

"Coming up next on Paramedic Interceptors - Cutting Reginald the bicycling Mamil out of the hilarious Wile E Coyote spreadeagle dent on the front of Dave the trucker's, er, truck."

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Arm paramedics! It's the ultimate job creation scheme.

BBC news link

Ambulance Service in England are to get the body worn video (similar to what security guards and police officers wear). Not exactly new that medics firemen etc get assaulted, so I think this is a rather good thing for the medics, so if a scrote assaults them, they can use it in court.

I don't think us Community First Responders will have to worry about getting them.

Its a real and present danger to the responders.

Any genuine patient in need of attention’s last worry is a body cam.

The scum in society need a response that will hopefully curb their propensity for causing needless mayhem.

Tyk

LE
BBC news link

It's a great shame that it's come to this, I assume it's for safety reasons more than any other reason. Emergency services are there specifically to help people and victimising them is a bizarre thing for anyone in a civilised society to do.
I may be reading more into the cameras being deployed than I should as there's bound to be useful training material, but safety seems to be the primary motivation.

It's an insidious development, but I don't think there's any tinfoil hattery in this. I hope it's not used for nefarious purposes such as performance analysis.

It's a sad state of affairs that paramedics or first responders providing medical assistance to injured people are being offered this as a means to ensure their protection, or at least provide evidence for prosecution purposes if they're assaulted while attending the scene of an accident.. but people injured while under the influence of drink or drugs can be very violent even if they're pissing blood and need help... If things get out of hand at least the camera saves time when giving a statement to the police instead of writing out a lengthy report of what happened so the scrote can be banged up as "It's on the tape (sd card) officer"

If traffic wardens can have body cameras as part of their standard equipment (a surprising number of people are happy to spit on someone just because they get a parking ticket) then it's no surprise that paramedics get them as well..
The footage is bound to be used for some 'Paramedic! Camera! Action!' TV programme in future though. As the beancounters at various Police Forces are aware, there's money to be made from fly-on-the-wall action footage so there will be programme editors putting their pitch to the Ambulance Service already..

Last edited:
Sign of the times.

Disrespect of the various social services deployed to help society is of increasing concern.

Is it the relaxation of previous generations views on child rearing?

The wokeness/snowflakeness of present society?

The hype-reaction to criticism of racism towards the behaviour of recent joiners of our population?

Whatever it is, documenting it will allow an objective view of the events...and hopefully a suitable application of the law against those who choose to be twats.

And the patient privacy?
A very serious issue.

No one would have any problem with ambulance staff getting all the protection they require in their very difficult job, but let's not pretend that everyone who works in the NHS is a selfless angel devoted to the care and welfare of others.

You can bet Tattersalls to a tin cup that some of this video coverage, if salacious enough or if of a celebrity in some sort of compromising situation, will make its way on to the internet, we know it will. As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow some little minimum-wage mouth breather working in admin will send clips of a good-looking woman lying naked in distress or a soap-opera star having an overdose to his mates by WhatsApp within minutes of it being uploaded to the filing system.

"Oh there will be very strict procedures in place to prevent this," yeah, sure there will.

Sign of the times.

Disrespect of the various social services deployed to help society is of increasing concern.

Is it the relaxation of previous generations views on child rearing?

The wokeness/snowflakeness of present society?

The hype-reaction to criticism of racism towards the behaviour of recent joiners of our population?

Whatever it is, documenting it will allow an objective view of the events...and hopefully a suitable application of the law against those who choose to be twats.
It was happening in 1988 when I first hit the streets of London and still happening when I retired in 2015. A&E staff get the same treatment. We always had a very close relationship with London Ambulance Service in the Met and an urgent call for assistance by them was treated the same as our own 'urgent assistances.'

A very serious issue.

No one would have any problem with ambulance staff getting all the protection they require in their very difficult job, but let's not pretend that everyone who works in the NHS is a selfless angel devoted to the care and welfare of others.

You can bet Tattersalls to a tin cup that some of this video coverage, if salacious enough or if of a celebrity in some sort of compromising situation, will make its way on to the internet, we know it will. As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow some little minimum-wage mouth breather working in admin will send clips of a good-looking woman lying naked in distress or a soap-opera star having an overdose to his mates by WhatsApp within minutes of it being uploaded to the filing system.

"Oh there will be very strict procedures in place to prevent this," yeah, sure there will.
I very much doubt it. The police have been using body cameras for some time and none of your fantasies have happened. As far as I am aware the footage is only retrieved when it is needed for court cases or to disprove complaints. There are strict rules of evidence governing it and a doubt if some 'minimun-wage mouth breather in admin will be posting clips of good looking naked women to his mates unless he want's to spend time as a guest of HM.

@devexwarrior may have more up to date info on this.

Latest Threads