Ambulance driver - just how heavy is a civvy ambulance?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by EX_STAB, Jul 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This could have gone in "jobs - discussion" but I thought that lots of ex RAMC types must go on to work on civvy ambulances.

My other half has seen a job she likes the look of as an "Emergency Care Assistant" for an NHS Ambulance service. She currently works as a Nursing Assistant in an A&E department and thought this would be an interesting job to go on to. Thing is, they are asking for a driving licence with C1 classification. This is for vehicles up to 7.5 ton. As she passed her test in 2006 she only has a licence up to 3.5 ton.

Does an ambulance really have a MAM (GVW) of more than 3500kg? If not why on earth are they asking for C1?

Answers on a postcard etc. etc.

2. Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Christ on a bike, have you not seen the weight of some of the fat bastards that the Ambulance crew have to chauffeur to the hospital for their gastric bands? The weight of a big van, all the kit, and a fat bastard is easily over 3.5T.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Quick answer: Yes
    Pi55 take: Have you not tried looking at ads for other Trusts and seen that they also require C1?
    Have you not tried looking at the various UK ambulance forums?
    Have you not called your local Fiat/Renaut/Mecerdes commercial dealers to ask?

I wish your wife Good Luck with her application as she is clearly the major breadwinner in your household

Google is your friend, hope this helps

5. Ambulances can be quite heavy.
    Modern vans which form the basis of an ambulance have a high unladen weight
    Many are now Mercedes 515's the 5 refers to gross weight of 5 tonnes. Hence the need for a C1 licence.

To give you an idea, at work we have several new Mercedes 313 fridge vans (3.5tonne gross) and they weigh 2760kg empty. Knock off 100kg for the driver and you are down to a payload of 640kg.
    As a rule of thumb, all those ambulances you see with twin wheel rear axles will be 5 tonners.

6. Thankyou. Good answer. Seemed surprising that they have got to such weights but if the base vans are now that heavy that would explain it.

7. In our case its because of the insulated body and the fridge mechanicals
    With an ambulance its largely down to the custom built body, stretcher lift and all the internal fitting. A couple of crew add another couple of hundred kilo's. The probably exceed 3.5 tonnes empty

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I know when I used to get to drive the mobile dental units they required a C1 licence, we had two sizes, a wee one which was fine and a big bastard that alledgedly was still under 7.5 tons.

We got a 40 minute training session on them (which including the opertaing of the hydraulic stabiling legs), a quick whizz round the car park and off you go. Next stop, reversing onto an inter isles ferry!

Nowadays all such driving is been done by specially employed drivers as apparently our time is too valuable to be spent driving them. Where's the fun in that!

9. The big new Mercs down south are over 5 ton...

As for those silly little vans, I think they're just over 4...

10. Just sold an M-regd ex ambulance transit which was plated at 3.5 tonne and as siad previously thats not taking into acct oxgen bottles/kit/driver&assistant/patient(s)

11. We have 3 adapted Merc Sprinter ambulances in our Trust for dealing with the more rotund patient.

When we recieved them they had "Bariatric Ambulance", liveried on the side. The Medical Director went a bit banzai and got them changed to some other more PC acceptable title. Although, why it just couldnt say Ambulance on all four sides, I'll never know.

Someone at DVLA must of had a sense of humour, the registration plates have F B U in them.

12. Top of me head, The Ivecos we have are around 4.5 ton, the newer Mercs are pushing 5 fully laden.
    C1 is a given, it's not a car it's a big mad angry yellow (poorly serviced) 4-5 tonnes of nee naw.
    No C1 no job that's how it is. Why would you question the validity of that requirement ?