Amazons tax avoidance may be sunk

Amazon, the on-line tax avoider may well have met its match in its refusal to face up to what other tax paying retailers have known for years, that if you trade in the UK you pay tax in the UK. And that tax avoiding shipping fulfilment centres (as they like to be known as) are not a separate entirety as far as UK courts are concerned.

Sorry no linky, as I read this in my paper on holiday, but a bit of webby nosing will I am sure turn this up if you are further interested.

It seems that Amazon tried it on with the courts in a recent judgement (something to do with Lush products, smelly high st products) in which they were refused permission to hide behind their Luxembourg trading address. The judge even went as far as to scoff at their claim, with a noted biggest load of toss (or word to that effect) he had ever heard off.

So unless Gideon is a right knob-ed, the path lies wide open to get Amazon to cough up their rightful tax liabilities, as well as all those other supply arraignment nobblers. That should sort out the black-hole in his spending toot-sweet, without the need to act and say stupid things, as is his want.

As Amazon has paid 100% of the tax due in this countries jurisdiction I think this will go nowhere, I can't find any evidence of this on the internet so I think you probably dreamt it.

George Osborne changed his name, you only use Gideon because in your chippy world you think it sounds posh.

You can't blame Amazon for paying tuppence-three-farthings tax on their zillion-pound profit, if it's legal. My issue is with the politicians who allow it to remain legal whilst skinning the rest of us alive.

You seem to have decided that my very clearly written post, says the opposite of what it does in fact say.

What part of 'you can't blame Amazon' is the bit you're struggling with?
This part, "My issue is with the politicians who allow it to remain legal whilst skinning the rest of us alive". You only pay tax on profits made in this country. You seem to think this wrong and want them to pay more, I merely asked how much extra you paid on your tax avoidance.

The lush case turns up very easily if you google Amazon court case.
Then if you try the Times law reports on a Monday they usually report the implications of cases.

Now guys we all know that Amazon hide behind the now defunct we are a Luxembourg company even though we sell nada there. And that it's about tax avoidance rather than some legitimate reality.

All big organizations twist and turn when it comes to tax liability employing dubious schemes and $1000 per hour lawyers and accountants, even the saintly Guardian are at it. Its up to the governments to get ride of the loopholes etc, so far I have seen no evidence of that.

Little know fact Fiat are restructuring and are making the UK their tax home, avoids Italian tax but more money for the UK treasury.

This part, "My issue is with the politicians who allow it to remain legal whilst skinning the rest of us alive". You only pay tax on profits made in this country. You seem to think this wrong and want them to pay more, I merely asked how much extra you paid on your tax avoidance.
I don't tax avoid and nor would I wish to, I like living here and pay all tax owed to fund the way of life.
Besides as a large user of the NHS, which I am these days, it would be less than honest to avoid my fair share.

Now guys we all know that Amazon hide behind the now defunct we are a Luxembourg company even though we sell nada there. And that it's about tax avoidance rather than some legitimate reality.
They don't hide, it's in full view. They trade from Luxembourg, that's where they pay tax, they don't pay it here because the transaction doesn't take place here.

I don't tax avoid and nor would I wish to, I like living hear and pay all tax owed to fund the way of life.
Besides as a large user of the NHS, which I am these days, it would be less than honest to avoid my fair share.
Everyone avoids tax, you have a tax free allowance, you can have ISA's etc, you are allowed to earn money that is not taxed. Do you pay extra tax to cover this avoidance as you expect Amazon to do?

You avoid tax, do you pay a bit extra to cover it?
I pay what the HMRC says is due. As does Amazon. I didn't deny it.

I'd just like to see a level playing-field. As far as I'm concerned, if you sell goods in the UK, from a UK warehouse and using UK staff, then any profit is in the UK. The law says that if you create shell companies to trade among themselves in tax havens, these profits never existed.

I'd like the laws changed so that if you make money here, you pay tax on it here, even if you've got the resources to set up shell companies elsewhere.

I pay what the HMRC says is due. As does Amazon. I didn't deny it.

I'd just like to see a level playing-field. As far as I'm concerned, if you sell goods in the UK, from a UK warehouse and using UK staff, then any profit is in the UK. The law says that if you create shell companies to trade among themselves in tax havens, these profits never existed.

I'd like the laws changed so that if you make money here, you pay tax on it here, even if you've got the resources to set up shell companies elsewhere.
The goods weren't bought here, they were bought overseas and shipped here. The purchase takes place overseas. No goods were sold in the UK.

The way to deal with it is to not tax companies at all, put the liability on the shareholders dividend. If the shareholder makes money tax it.

Difficult situation. Maybe the gouvernement turn a blind eye because these scoundrels are in fact employing people (albeit at a minimum wage). Perhaps if HMRC say pay up, they would just up sticks and go and install their outfit in some less caring country?