Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon UK age verification on delivery.

Is the real reason that some arrse members want the veterans ID card because certain members don’t possess any form of ID suitable for getting Amazon alcohol delivered to their home address ?
What's the score on the ID.Cards, anyone know?

I had this when I ordered vape coils from amazon (just the coils nothing else) I asked to see the drivers ID before showing mine that went down like a lead balloon

Hi ,

Just took a delivery of some rum (Wood's 57%) from Amazon .

Delivery guy (Spanish or Portuguese) took my drivers license as proof of age and typed and down swiped and upswiped on his phone? muttered a bit and gave me back my license .

Any ideas why ?

Mugshot is on license . Olde phart duly noted .

Why the recording and what is recorded ?

Obviously Amazon don't trust the delivery guys but what are Amazon collecting ?

License numbers ? Obviously not pretty faces :))

Lucky you.
I keep on being asked if I am Mrs.B&B by our parcel man.
I just answer "yes but no but" he smiles and takes a photo of my feet.
Works for me.

Bit of an old thread bump here forgive me.

I am an amazon delivery driver.
I regularly deliver age verified items such as alcohol and knives. It is amazons policy to verify the age of the intended recipient. I’m sure I’m speaking in behalf of all amazon drivers, but we know you are of age we’re not being cnuts when we as for D.O.B and ID. We HAVE to. It’s silly I know and I just wish amazon would take our word for it.

As for the previous post about swiping on phone about the details - they would be entering the Date Of Birth into the system.
We literally can’t make progress until the date of birth is entered or the delivery is cancelled due to no answer at door etc. The information is safe and none of us can access this information once entered. It’s only to confirm the person is of age to save human error working age out ourselves and amazon covering there own asses.

Not asking for ID would result in an instant dismissal for us unfortunately that’s Amazon’s policy. Our jobs are on line so we can’t risk it. Please don’t hate on us it’s amazons silly policies. I think challenge 25 should be put in place instead just like the shops. Trust me the information is safe. Honestly we really don’t care about your information we just want to finish the shift and go home lol. I do understand the concern though.

Honestly the best thing to do if possible is just to buy alcohol or knives from the shop.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I bought a sushi making kit for mini me Mk 2 from amazon, it includes a kitchen knife so age verification is required on delivery.
The driver asked for my DOB and name, but not for any supporting evidence. It may help that I'm clearly old enough to posses a knife in my own home (maybe not mentally suitable to have one, but that's a different story) and that he didn't know why he was supposed to ask for age.

I bought a sushi making kit for mini me Mk 2 from amazon, it includes a kitchen knife so age verification is required on delivery.
The driver asked for my DOB and name, but not for any supporting evidence. It may help that I'm clearly old enough to posses a knife in my own home (maybe not mentally suitable to have one, but that's a different story) and that he didn't know why he was supposed to ask for age.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve just asked for DOB with no evidence a few times when the customer is clearly of age. I delivered to many people born in the 40s and it’s just a joke asking for ID but needs must.

To be honest he should know why he needs to ask for age. It’s in the inductions, policies and supervisors would of informed also.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve just asked for DOB with no evidence a few times when the customer is clearly of age. I delivered to many people born in the 40s and it’s just a joke asking for ID but needs must.

To be honest he should know why he needs to ask for age. It’s in the inductions, policies and supervisors would of informed also.

his actual phrase was 'I need to take a DOB, I don't know why'

I said "it'll be the knife in the box at a guess" as when I placed the order it was very clear that there was a minimum age for delivery and that age verification would be carried out

( I don't have an issue with age verification, it was just a bit crap of him to claim to not know why)

Mrs phantom used to have to age check customers, it didn't' always go down well.

endure

GCM
his actual phrase was 'I need to take a DOB, I don't know why'

I said "it'll be the knife in the box at a guess" as when I placed the order it was very clear that there was a minimum age for delivery and that age verification would be carried out

( I don't have an issue with age verification, it was just a bit crap of him to claim to not know why)

Mrs phantom used to have to age check customers, it didn't' always go down well.
Would he be likely to know what was in the box? I don't imagine that drivers are given a list of the contents of orders, just a load of boxes to deliver.

Amazon driver: "You might think this is strange, but I need to ask how old are you?"
Kinch: "Old enough, but I'm not that way inclined....Duckie"

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Would he be likely to know what was in the box? I don't imagine that drivers are given a list of the contents of orders, just a load of boxes to deliver.

he didn't know that it was age verification for an age restricted item, he wanted a DOB and didn't check. I'm going to assume that if Mini me Mk 2 had given his DOB it would flag on the system as not appropriate. when I did some delivery work for a well known (and frankly shite) delivery company with a three letter name that looks like an explosive, I had a few parcels marked along the lines of proof of age required, minimum age 21' I didn't know the contents (except for the one marked 'alcohol - do not store in a warm place- '
he should know it's an age restriction though

Goodness, dear chap! It's aeroplane!

not if i'm setting up the opportunity to quote one of the best (and cheesiest) films of all time it isn't.

Tiger-Monkey2

War Hero
Where I live I always use the self service check out. If there is an age restricted item in my trolley, the computer flags it. It then appears as an alert on a staff member's iphone. She looks across at me and taps the ok button. One of the joys on not living in the UK is that people here are still allowed to use basic common sense.

Where I live I always use the self service check out. If there is an age restricted item in my trolley, the computer flags it. It then appears as an alert on a staff member's iphone. She looks across at me and taps the ok button. One of the joys on not living in the UK is that people here are still allowed to use basic common sense.
That happens here as well (it flags up on a main screen)

We don’t know what the age verified item is, it will only say it’s just age verified. However if it’s alcohol we can usually tell as it’s pretty obvious.

Latest Threads