Amazon to cease accepting Visa CCs in January

NSP

LE
By now, if you are an Amazon customer, you should have received the cheery e-mail from Amazon telling you that from the 19th January 2022 they will no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK. Visa cards issued in other countries will still be accepted.

Personally, I reckon that come the 20th January Amazon execs will leap aboard the reverso-cycle and start peddling furiously when they notice the massive hole in their revenue stream. I suspect that I will not be the only one who is not applying for a new credit card with Mastercard or American Express just to shop on Amazon, nor will I be sacrificing security and consumer credit law protection by using my debit card online.

So, who's in and who's out...? Are Amazon shooting themselves in the foot...? Will Visa cut their transaction fees, at least for Amazon...?

Last edited:
I suspect Amazon are angling for a cut to the transaction fee.
If Visa is blocked by Amazon, like you, I will not be getting another card, though I already have a Mastercard that I sometimes use on Amazon.
If anything, this will encourage me to use alternative online shopping portals.

BBC article Amazon to stop accepting Visa credit cards in UK and below.
Amazon will stop accepting Visa credit cards in the UK from 19 January, the online retail giant has told customers.
It said the move was due to high credit card transaction fees but said Visa debit cards would still be accepted.
Visa said it was "very disappointed that Amazon is threatening to restrict consumer choice in the future".
Amazon said: "The cost of accepting card payments continues to be an obstacle for businesses striving to provide the best prices for customers."

Visa fees​

The online giant said those costs should be going down over time due to advances in technology, "but instead they continue to stay high or even rise".
In an email to UK customers, Amazon said: "Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions.
"You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases."
Amazon also asked customers to update payment methods, including for Prime membership and any subscriptions.
"We know this may be inconvenient, and we're here to help you through this transition," it added.
A Visa spokesperson said: "UK shoppers can use their Visa debit and credit cards at Amazon UK today and throughout the holiday season.
"We are very disappointed that Amazon is threatening to restrict consumer choice in the future. When consumer choice is limited, nobody wins.
"We have a long-standing relationship with Amazon, and we continue to work toward a resolution, so our cardholders can use their preferred Visa credit cards at Amazon UK without Amazon-imposed restrictions come January 2022."

Related Topi​

By now, if you are an Amazon customer, you should have received the cheery e-mail from Amazon telling you that from the 19th January 2022 they will no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK. Visa cards issued in other countries will still be accepted.

Personally, I reckon that come the 20th January Amazon execs will leap aboard the reverso-cycle and start peddling furiously when they notice the massive hole in their revenue stream. I suspect that I will not be the only one who is not applying for a new credit card with Mastercard or American Express just to shop on Amazon, nor will I be sacrificing security and consumer credit law protection by using my debit card online.

So, who's in and who's out...? Are Amazon shooting themselves in the foot...? Will Visa cut their transaction fees, at lease for Amazon...?
Certainly flabbers my ghast, if that’s the plan! Foot-mouth interface, to be sure!

Maybe fooling myself through ignorance but I've got 2 Credit Cards I never really use.

I think the last time I did was to book a ticket on the Waverley.
I use Amazon a lot especially due to the Pandemic, but I have a dedicated Debit Card with it...the same account that pays their £7.99 per month which is SO'd from another account monthly.

I only keep a "float" if you will of £10.00 in it, but when I order I simply transfer the purchase amount bill into it via my online banking. Might sound a palaver but I'm pretty quick at it now!
That way, I feel protected...given there's nowt to steal.

Like I say...maybe I'm missing summat but I've never had any bother...including getting refunds from a couple of product fails over 2 years which ain't bad. I do check where stuff is coming from though.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
I wonder if this is not part of a ploy to drive take-up of their own Amazon credit card (which is underwritten by Mastercard)...?

I’ve had notification from some of my credit card providers they are changing from Visa to Mastercard.

I don’t think Amazon will struggle as suggested.

Who the **** uses a credit card to buy stuff on Amazon? Use a debit card (Visa enabled) you debt addicted paupers.

So, who's in and who's out...? Are Amazon shooting themselves in the foot...? Will Visa cut their transaction fees, at least for Amazon...?
I suspect Visa will be having an "oh shit" moment at the future loss in revenue and be on the phone to Amazon at this very moment.

I’ve had notification from some of my credit card providers they are changing from Visa to Mastercard.

I've not seen anything from amazon or any crad provider) yet.
As it is, I currently use 2 debit cards (one Visa and one Mastercard), I'm sure this "problem" will just go away.

endure

GCM
I've got an Amazon Mastercard CC. Every time I buy something from them I get points and we all know what points mean. Points mean prizes so every now and then they bung a £10 voucher into my Amazon account. It's money I spend with them anyway.

I've not seen anything from amazon or any crad provider) yet.
As it is, I currently use 2 debit cards (one Visa and one Mastercard), I'm sure this "problem" will just go away.

Send me the numbers and CCV and I’ll double check for you.

Protection under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Im fairly certain thats not needed for stuff sold on Amazon, as Amazon will resolve the problems themselves.

Just poor people buying stuff they obviously dont need, on credit.

TamH70

MIA

My bank, unfortunately advertised by that irritating Geordie duo which shall not be named, migrated me from a Visa to a MasterCard debit card this year. I think you may be right.

Im fairly certain thats not needed for stuff sold on Amazon, as Amazon will resolve the problems themselves.

What if they don’t? Where’s your legal recourse?

Or wiser people using a facility that protects them, improves their credit rating and incurs no penalties if paid off in full.

What if they don’t? Where’s your legal recourse?

Suck it up? Small claims court?

I doubt anybody buys anything on Amazon with a credit card because of consumer protection, they do it because it sells shiny toys that they cant afford.

Latest Threads