Amazon Market Place Sellers - Sending to BFPO addresses

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Crusty(LE), Jul 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just come acropper when ordering from Amazon.

An item I ordered was £19.99 + £3.50m postage. I am at BFPO 641.

When I received the invoice - I had been charged £19.99 for postage!!

When I complained to Amazon, they said they had no control over the P&P prices their 'Market Place' sellers charge. The particular company had the folowing rates in their small print (which I eventually found)..

Batsonstoys (the retailer)

Shipping Rates
    Standard Shipping to UK Mainland
    (3 - 5 days)

Total Order Value Shipment Rate
    £0.00 - £2.99 £1.99
    £3.00 - £9.99 £2.99
    £10.00 - £19.99 £4.99
    £20.00 - £49.99 £5.99
    £50.00 - Up £9.99

BFPO · Standard · (3 - 5 days)
    Per Shipment Bands Shipment Rate
    £0.00 to £7.99 £3.99
    £8.00 to £9.99 £4.99
    £10.00 to £14.99 £5.99
    £15.00 to £18.00 £6.99
    £18.01 to £50.00 £19.99
    £50.01 to Up £29.99

So I have been charged £19.99 for an item weighing less than 1LB. Parcels to BFPO address under 2KG are free are they not?

Either way, this is expolitation - and amazon do not seem interested. I have e-mailed the company a number of times, but they haven't had the decency to respond.

Moral of the story - check the small print especially if sending to a BFPO address.

2. You obviously don't get many things sent to a foreign BFPO then.

I am sure that LOA is not there to provide for the extortionate postage that you have to pay for things when you are in Germany, and why can't I receive 2nd class items from the UK to a BFPO address ???

Still at least you answered your own complaint :D

3. BFPO 641 - Germany - I think not!!

4. Was thinking the same thing paywog, incidently, I have never had any dramas getting stuff to a BFPO address from Amazon.

5. Me neither and until they changed the rules, allways got my tax back.

6. It doesn't apply to commercial parcels, that scheme is meant for parcels from family, friends or individuals.

B.F.P.O. add a surcharge to cover the cost of onward travel, but I don't think it;s THAT much!

Pricing the postage on cost of the article and not size or weight is bollox.

Name and shame the seller!

and read the small print next time!

7. One way around the problem is to send it to RAF Northolt and have your BFPO address in the middle, this has worked for me:

Name
    ? Bks, BFPO ?
    RAF Northolt, Westend Rd
    Ruislip, Middlesex HA4 6NG
    United Kingdom

It doesn't stop it taking fecking ages to get here though!

8. I do realise that 641 is not Germany. :eek:

I was merely pointing out that it costs more to get some items sent to BFPO addresses in Germany, and even then the company has to have a commercial contract with BFPO. I am sure they are taking that into account when adjusting LOA rates - honest, or is it still all based on how often you have a babysitter :?