Amazon Kindle

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by vandyke, Aug 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

It might just be me, but I think your affiliate link is broken (cheeky little bit of hidden sales perhaps? :) )

2. No genuine mistake. was logged into Amazon when I copied the link. Wish I had been smart enough to think of that, I'd have got the link right if I had :eye:

My only issue with these readers is the price of books, Almost the same as a hard copy, which is a bit cheeky when you consider they do not have the printing, sales and distribution costs that traditional books incur (I have the same issue with Itunes etc).

3. hopefully once they have the uk kindle store sorted the prices will drop(yeah right!)
    but seeing as you can have up to 6 kindles on one account,
    perhaps its worth considering buying with chums & sharing the costs?

4. That is my other concern, At the moment I share books with others. I guess that the digital version will not be freely transferable between devices. Perhaps I am best sticking to the good old fashioned paper and print.

5. I've considered getting a kindle, but I quiet like reading books on the iPhone 4 - the screen makes stuff surprisingly readable, and you can download the Kindle App (although I use Stanza).

Just a shame that the Kindle Apps don't support the ability to buy newspapers though (as I downloaded the Kindle App when I heard you could subscribe the International Herald Tribune through Kindle). Hopefully this is something they'll address in the future.

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I've got a Sony eReader which I've had for a while, and very good it is too. I've recently got an iPad with Kindle which I'm also happy with. However sharing books between devices has proved impossible.

I prefer the Kindle because adding books is instant.

DRM has some way to go I think.

I'm guessing DRM will follow DVDs and unlocking will come, just not there yet.

If you pick one then you have to stick with it for the moment.

7. Yeah, I found this out the other day when I downloaded the Call of the Weird from Waterstones. I found I couldn't use it on my iPhone because it has some crappy Adobe ******* DRM built into which only seems to support a handful of devices. Seems like a hassle to remove as well.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I can see that, my Sony books are from Waterstones but don't work on my iPad or iPhone, but my Kindle purchases are available on both. So for me right now Kindle is the way ahead.

9. I use my iphone, before that it I used ipod touch and before that an HP Ipaq.
    I have lots of books, DRM frei in PDF, .lrf & epub (ipod & ipad)
    authors include Alistair Maclean, Robert ludlum, Clive cussler, Tom clancy, Kathy Reichs (bones) Loads in fact.
    If anyone wants some I am in the process of putting a CD together. Maybe a donation to Hols??

10. vandyke
    In answer to your original question, Kindle does read pdfs but it is very much hit and miss as to whether the type is big enough. You can now enlarge pdfs on Kindle but only in segments of a page which is not ideal for reading. Amazon will convert files for you but the pdf conversion is deemed 'experimental' and is frankly not good at the moment. But if you only want to read the text and can copy the text, it is a simple matter to paste it into a word or a text document either of which Amazon will convert to Kindle format for you and that looks as good as any of the normal Kindle books. Some publishers do sell e-books in pdf format and I assume that is with a typeface optimised for Kindle.

I am not sure about the other formats, do they all read pdfs and, if so, do they read OK? Anybody know?

11. I was toying with the idea with buying the other half an ebook for her milestone birthday (50) as she is an avid reader and has filled up our house with tons of books over the years.
    I was looking at the kimble or sony then I saw the iPad and I know how much she likes her new iphone and thought she would prefer one of those.
    So which is going to be the best fit, ebook reader or iPad?

12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Kindle reader is also available as an Android app and runs beautifully on my X10.

13. I have now got myself an iPad, wow!

I normally read on my iPhone, this is way better. I am half way through the sharpe series, decided to start the next book on the iPad- it does make for a very pleasant experience. Larger screen= more clarity. No more squinting when using it on the cross trainer!
    I can't comment on the kindlebas I haven't used one, but I prefer my gadgets to multiple function!

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I've been swayed entirely to the kindle, in my case on the iPad. But its only a device. Ereaders have far to many restrictions on using your purchases on other devices, I have about 20 books on the Sony which I can't use anywhere else so have given up on it completely.