Amazon email scam

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Blogg, Dec 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Be aware that as it is Crimbo time and a great number of people are making heavy use of Amazon, the scum have moved in again and are firing out rafts of spoofing emails that closely mimic ones that Amazon do send.

Goes like this:

"Hello Sucker,

We noticed that you added one or more items to your Amazon Shopping Basket, but didn't continue to Checkout. When you're ready to buy, simply click here xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to visit your Shopping Basket to complete your order."

The link of course takes you to a fake site dripping with malware, is designed to abstract your Amazon password which is bad enough but if you get taken in asks you to "refresh" your full credit card details.

Answer of course is just go into your account in the normal manner but so many people just click through to the scammers fake site it is depressing
  2. Remember kids,

Never follow the links given in an e-mail.
  3. I never follow hyperlinks in emails, I always right click copy & paste the link address into the address bar to see exactly what it is.

Amazon Log-in
  4. Tell me about it.

I clicked a link I got in an email from some website called ARRSE and it took me to a picture of some blokes bottom hole.

Sent by carrier pigeon using Speckled Jim
    • Like Like x 3
  5. You told me you had added that to your favourites.
  6. I had one claiming to come from ebay the other day. It was telling me my credit card details needed to be re-confirmed otherwise I'd not be allowed to buy anything else.

Tell tale signs it was a fake:

1. It was sent to my work email address when my email account is against a private address

2. The email did not quote my email account name

3. The link provided was a URL that wasn't https:// and didn't resolve to ebay i.e. It didn't end or etc

I reported it as phishing at work. As far as I know a lot of people at work had had the mail.
  7. I saw a programe somewhere that you can install that you can load up with the 'correct' addresses. After which you can't follow false links pretending to be them.
  8. Sounds like you lot do a lot of e-baying at work. :D
  9. pgpucker.jpg

I also lost my lunch.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DO NOT reply with Mr Shortttttts bank details as it would be very irresponsible
  11. You think thats bad, I clicked a link hoping to see some blokes rusty sheriffs badge and ended on some website called ARRSE!!!
  12. Who ever owns that dung button... it looks a little loose.
  13. Do I hear J Rod absconding?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. My brother got one claiming to be from paypal saying there was a dispute over a payment he'd made and to follow a link to resolve it.
    Thankfully this was one of the rare times when he hadn't been going stupid with his ebay shopping so he asked me what I thought about it. Hover the mouse over the link and the address that comes up has nothing to do with ebay so I tell him to just delete it.
    If he had been doing any recent ebay shopping then the chances are he would have clicked it without any second thought.
    He got caught out before with one of them scams that tell you there's a virus on your computer and you can get rid of it just by clicking a link....

Both ends of the spectrum, my dad being of the older generation, doesn't trust anything to do with computers and thinks that everything online is there to steal his identity and cash.

Sent by carrier pigeon using Speckled Jim