Amazon adverts

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by WhiteHorse, Oct 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have noticed random Amazon adverts appearing at the top of the web page now and again, they appear above the main heading both on Arrse and BBC. I can't see that either site is responsible so I think Amazon have loaded something on my PC. Any ideas how to stop it?

2. After reading my post, it sounds like gibberish, what I should say is that the Amazon add loads first and effects the script of the web page, for example the drop down menus don't work correctly when the amazon add is there...any ideas how to stop it?

3. Yes, stop looking at Amazon

4. Do they look like these?

Attached Files:

5. do i virus scanner. I somehow dought amazon have loaded any kind of spyware or addware or what ever they call it onto your comp. Though have you downloaded anything from amazon?

6. Right click in the menu space on your browser, does it give you an option to unclick an Amazon ToolBar or similar?

7. No..and I don't use amazon. I have discovered a Khost and a Kservice in Task manager, looks like they loaded with the BBC I viewer thingy...

8. When you delete those K processes, do they stop the taskbar?

9. Would appear so. How do I stop them reappearing when I fire up the PC in the morning?

Bugger, they don't stop it, its also more of a banner add but right at the top of the page before the mail web page title!

10. Google Kservice and you will find its a Peer to Peer program that seems associated with Sky. Some sites say it is needed if you have signed up for the Sky Download service. Here is an extract from a site if you do want to remove it

"Well, the manual uninstall seemed to work. For those of you in a similar position, here's what I did:

Went into the Services applet (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services) and stopped the KService service. I also set it to Disabled.
    Opened Regedit, went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run and deleted the entry for 'kdx'.
    Still in Regedit, went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services and deleted the entry for 'kdx'.
    Deleted the entire folder where KService was installed (in my case 'C:\Program Files\KService')
    Restarted the machine"

source: http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/Blog/blogentry=000175/Blog.aspx

11. Correct - I have it on my desktop at home. It's called Kontiki and it's part of Sky Anytime (used to be called Sky by Broadband) which allows you to get films on your pc.

Sky do an uninstaller HERE

I haven't used this uninstaller as I haven't had any major problems with it.
    It's good for loading films onto the laptop before coming out to the sandpit :)

Hope this helps :D

12. Would appear so. How do I stop them reappearing when I fire up the PC in the morning?

Bugger, they don't stop it, its also more of a banner add but right at the top of the page before the mail web page title!

This is from the source page...

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html dir="ltr" lang="en">
    <head>
    <base href="http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/" />

13. It does sound like a classic spyware/malware problem. Have you run Adaware, spybot or any other such utility to scan for spyware?

Edited to add: There is nothing wrong with that header btw

14. Adaware came back clean, amazon advert still there!

15. Still happening, adaware AVG etc all show nothing there...