Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon account hacked.

So basically I download an Authenticator app

tell it my password for Facebook is 12345 and then I just have to go into the authenticator app instead when I want to go onto Facebook ?

for dummies please

You install an app and then scan a code the site displays to set it up. This establishes a cryptographic key that is used to create a pass number that changes every 30s or so and is derived from the current time/date and the crypto key.

When you go to log in you will be prompted to enter the current number, so you open the app, and enter the (usually) 6 digit code for the account you are using (you can have multiple accounts in the same app). The site verifies you have entered the current expected code for your account.

So basically I download an Authenticator app

tell it my password for Facebook is 12345 and then I just have to go into the authenticator app instead when I want to go onto Facebook ?

for dummies please

https:// m.facebook.com/help/ 148233965247823

delete the spaces above

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We’ll done OP. A preemptive “my account has been hacked” should give your solicitor something to work with in interview ....

Actually the family amazon account run by Mrs F.

My own secret one is well protected.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Problem fixed, took slightly longer than anticipated because on first attempt it was allegedly sent to wrong department.
Now have two stage authentication in place.

However the aftermath of this in terms of finance is still unravelling.

When we contacted bank they set in motion a fraud investigation, part of which was a refund of the amount we lost. Not much on 3 small purchases, total just over £20. However whoever refunded credit card made an error, instead of refunding the amount, they have reset the amount owed to just over £20. Not sure how long before we notice this and inform the bank!

However the credit balance is now even lower as it appears that Amazon have also refunded us some of the sum as well! It is now in single figures without us having paid any of it off.

Obviously we rectify these errors.

A few months ago, I had an on-line interview with Amazon, and they signed me up to Amazon Prime for a month for free, for this purpose. A few weeks later, I ordered some stuff off them, so now they got my bank details. It now turns out they have been taking the £7.99 per month off my account, for a service I never asked for.
Earlier today, I went to my bank to sort it out. The staff there told me that it is called a Visa Recurring Debit Transaction or something, and that I was far from the only person to be robbed like that.
So, watch your "money out" column, and watch those dirty rob-dogs if you buy anything from them.

A few months ago, I had an on-line interview with Amazon, and they signed me up to Amazon Prime for a month for free, for this purpose. A few weeks later, I ordered some stuff off them, so now they got my bank details. It now turns out they have been taking the £7.99 per month off my account, for a service I never asked for.
Earlier today, I went to my bank to sort it out. The staff there told me that it is called a Visa Recurring Debit Transaction or something, and that I was far from the only person to be robbed like that.
So, watch your "money out" column, and watch those dirty rob-dogs if you buy anything from them.

Have you contacted Amazon to cancel your Prime account? If not, do so.

It'll save you running to your bank again next month.

Amazon Prime is free for the first month after which you pay - if you don't cancel before the end of the first month.

Much as it pains me to defend $MEGACORP, they're only robbing people who never got past the words "Free Lunch".

I have cancelled the payment, so that should be it. To phone Amazon, I would be kept hanging on, and passed around from pillar to post, it would be quicker to go to their depot in Durham, and go into Karen mode.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Consider buying an email domain, cheaper than you think.
I use Ionos - IONOS by 1&1 » Email. Domains. Websites. - and then have a email address domain of "@guns.co.uk" (not real). Then you can create any number of front ends for the email address.
Say amazon10@guns.co.uk - now you have a unique email address to each online account.
In the control panel you have *@guns.co.uk to go to a main account you access.
This means if an account gets hacked they can't scrape the one email address and reuse to other accounts.

You can do the same with other free email systems - GMail for example you can have mail+ID@gmail.com and mail+other@gmail.com that all go to mail@gmail.com

Password manager. Personally I use one and have no idea what my many passwords are. Lastpass is good. It auto generates long and complex passwords and also then fills in password fields when you log in

As mentioned Two Factor Authentication. Best is a hardware key, then an app and if you only have the option ,SMS/Text. Lastpass also has a auth app you can get for your phone. Google and Microsoft also have them. However Google is evil.

Latest Threads