Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon account hacked.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some high end criminal has hacked into our amazon account. And when I say our I actually mine Mrs F's as I never access it these days.

It seems simple, however they managed entry, they have swopped the email address so that ours is no longer recognised by Amazon.

It became apparent to Mrs F on Monday night when she couldn't read her book on her kindle although she didn't actually mention it until 11pm last night when all I could see was a kindle saying it wasn't registered. A failure to log in to amazon led to an attempt to reset password which is when we got the email not recognised message.

Tiny Miss F's kindle is similarly affected.

Obviously we checked bank as Mrs F has Amazon prime which means no end of things could have been ordered but it appears that all these criminal masterminds have bought is 3 videos on amazon prime videos, worth a total of £22.97.

So contacted bank and stopped credit card to prevent any further losses

Just have to wait and see what Amazon say today once their customer service call centre opens.

Whilst the physical financial loss is small, there are a number of books on our kindles which we have paid for and not yet read.

Once you get it back, ensure you enable fwo factor authentication. This will help to prevent an account take over in the future. Also enable it on facebook, paypal etc via an authenticator app

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've had quite a few phishing 'Amazon' emails recently. Haven't fallen for any of them, but it's made me consider extra security measures.

Not fallen for any either. Although have received them.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Also, make sure you 'sign out' when done. Some devices remember your details and when you open the site, you are still logged in.

Last edited:
A bit of a look see;

At 7.57 min.

Look him up, Youtube "Spying on the Scammers" accessing scammer PC's and scammer office CCTV.
All Dark Arts to me.

Change your email password and enable two factor authentication on that as well. If they have your email account they can reset the passwords on every online account associated with it.

Some high end criminal has hacked into our amazon account. And when I say our I actually mine Mrs F's as I never access it these days.

It seems simple, however they managed entry, they have swopped the email address so that ours is no longer recognised by Amazon.

It became apparent to Mrs F on Monday night when she couldn't read her book on her kindle although she didn't actually mention it until 11pm last night when all I could see was a kindle saying it wasn't registered. A failure to log in to amazon led to an attempt to reset password which is when we got the email not recognised message.

Obviously we checked bank as Mrs F has Amazon prime which means no end of things could have been ordered but it appears that all these criminal masterminds have bought is 3 videos on amazon prime videos, worth a total of £22.97.

Just have to wait and see what Amazon say today once their customer service call centre opens.

Whilst the physical financial loss is small, there are a number of books on our kindles which we have paid for and not yet read.
I would put your email address into https://haveibeenpwned.com - it's a legitimate service that will tell you if your email address has been leaked in published breaches of security.

Then change any account where you use the same email / password combo.

Ritch

LE
I've had quite a few phishing 'Amazon' emails recently. Haven't fallen for any of them, but it's made me consider extra security measures.

I keep getting a text with "Your Amazon Prime shopper is picking your order." Nothing else, not even a link that I thought a scammer would use.

I keep getting a text with "Your Amazon Prime shopper is picking your order." Nothing else, not even a link that I thought a scammer would use.

Have you checked, it may be?

Have you looked at your amazon account? By logging in directly, not using any 3rd party link.

Mr Happy

LE
Surely Mrs F will have in her emails from a few days ago one that says “you have changed your email address, if this wasn’t you contact us immediately” or words to that effect.

There lies a link to how to get it back.

Second point, obviously Mrs F’s password is compromised so the hackers will probably try the same password and email login on multiple accounts so Mrs F will need to go change some passwords if that is the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't got Amazon Prime, I haven't even ordered anything from them for ages so I have no idea what its meant to be.

Amazon Prime is a bugger for trapping you, even when you set the 'cancel' in motion, they make moves on you.... check that you really are not on Amazon Prime.

As well as others' advice, I would delete the details of any credit or debit cards where you store the details online. It means you have to spend an extra three minutes entering those details when you want to buy anything, but gives you peace of mind if you are hacked.

Edit: on some sites, when you enter your card details, the site automatically saves your card details. There is usually a tick box on the screen which you can un-tick, to prevent your card details from being saved.

Last edited:

Latest Threads