• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Amazing Military Technology

"But it is in Afghanistan that British forces are now directly facing fellow Britons on the other side. RAF Nimrod aircraft flying over Afghanistan at up to 40,000ft have been picking up Taliban electronic "chatter" in which voices can be heard in West Midlands and Yorkshire accents"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...british-jihadists-in-afghanistan-1631347.html

picking up "chatter" at 40,000 feet!

Now I find that amazing in the real sense of the word,

any other bits of military kit, with the same 'amazement' factor you guys can tell us about without breaking the Official Secrets Act?

I am probaly the most amazing thing the army ever had but I cant tell you to much
if you ever found out about me I would have to kill you

One superb example for me is calling in say artiliary from 8+KM away and having the trust that it will land on the enemy's position ~300m away and not on you :).

Just awesome.

It's tempting to laugh, but the serious side of this question is that it could easily be someone from DE&S asking it. Since MoD decided the people who specify and buy technology don't actually have to understand it, the result has been continual delays and faffing around with nonsense like this.

Boots are amazing; they protect my feet from sharp stones and if I polish them they look nice. In use, they're almost impossible to lose; just look down and there they are. Amazing; we had nothing like them a thousand years ago.

Next up; the rifle, why its amazing too, and the wheel; civil technology amazingly turned to military use.

Ive heard some rumours about something called a telephone. Intelligence indicates that you can use it to hear "chatter" on the other side of the planet :?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, it's very clever. From those very same aircraft they can't only hear a great deal, they can also see a lot too. Using the imagery from those aircraft (and ones flying MUCH higher - vacuumcraft if I'm not mistaken), they have created wonderfully detailed bits of paper that allow the guys on the ground (who can't see sh!t) to see exaccerly where they are - just as if they were flying thousands of feet in the air!

I'm to understand that not only can they see exaccerly where they are, but with the beeps that get sent out by some of these vacuumcraft, they can use a handheld beep-calculator to pintpoint the enemy precisely for the guys who fire the mortars, MLRS (GPS guided dont'cha know), arty, laser AND GPS guided air-to-ground and other clever things too.

It's just a shame that they don't use the tracking data for the brummie phone signals to drop something heavy on the little cnuts though isn't it?

Firthy556 said:
One superb example for me is calling in say artiliary from 8+KM away and having the trust that it will land on the enemy's position ~300m away and not on you :).

Just awesome.
Not awesome, just unbelievable faith/trust.

And hopefully a very solid foxhole. Which in itself is amazing, because the infantry have loads of foxholes but no foxes. Where have they all gone?

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
boredcivvy said:
"But it is in Afghanistan that British forces are now directly facing fellow Britons on the other side. RAF Nimrod aircraft flying over Afghanistan at up to 40,000ft have been picking up Taliban electronic "chatter" in which voices can be heard in West Midlands and Yorkshire accents"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...british-jihadists-in-afghanistan-1631347.html

any other bits of military kit, with the same 'amazement' factor you guys can tell us about without breaking the Official Secrets Act?
But they can't run a RnR flight on time.

boredcivvy said:

You find it "amazing" that a radio can transmit a distance of 7.5 miles?

To be honest, if it was a Bowman, then so would I. Luckily, it was probably a Motorola or a Kenwood, so no real suprise.

If you want to be really suprised then google for GCHQ, or go to Bletchley Park.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I find this very surprising because we are told, by their lawyers, that every British resident that is detained in this part of the world is completely innocent and was just over there brushing up on their Islamic studies.

Or do they only become innocent when they are detained?

There are also these things which can sink and then float again. They can stay under water for months at a time, producing air and water for their crew. They are so quiet that they are virtually undetectable (unless you run into one...) and they carry weapons which can hit anywhere on the planet, with a accuracy of better than 90m, and these weapons harness the power of The Atom.

That's kinda cool. Albeit in a way that would ruin your whole week.

Ord_Sgt said:
boredcivvy said:
any serious answers for people who are actually interested in Military Technology?
If you needed to know you would already. Why do you ask?
firstly, I am interested in impressive bits of military kit, just as I am interested in MMA, natural history etc

secondly, and hopefully if I pass the OASC and PROAC, I will starting Cranwell sometime this year.

Latest Threads