Am i wasting what i have achieved?

#1
Hi Everyone,

I am 23 and have 6 GCSE's, 2 AS Levels, An Advanced VCE, An A Level and a Degree at 2:2 level in Business Management.

I am sort of torn now because i am joining the parachute reg at present but as a regular soldier. With my age and qualifications do you think i should be aiming at Officer Status?

I dont have a C in Maths at GCSE and they are seeing if i am still able to apply to be an officer.

Just wondering what people think?

Are there advantages for people with degrees entering as a reg?

Cheers.

David.
 
#2
davethomson2007 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am 23 and have 6 GCSE's, 2 AS Levels, An Advanced VCE, An A Level and a Degree at 2:2 level in Business Management.

I am sort of torn now because i am joining the parachute reg at present but as a regular soldier. With my age and qualifications do you think i should be aiming at Officer Status?

I dont have a C in Maths at GCSE and they are seeing if i am still able to apply to be an officer.

Just wondering what people think?

Are there advantages for people with degrees entering as a reg?

Cheers.

David.
If you do not possess a C grade at GCSE then you are currently functionally innumerate, a trait that will not enable you to perform at either regimental duty, or at staff, as an officer. You may even need remedial trg to bring you up to the standard required of a private soldier.

My advice - improve your maths skills first.

PAW
 
#3
i wanna make it clear i did my GCSE maths 6 Years ago and i did the practice gcse test the other day and got 98% so my Maths is easily good enough now after doing accoutning etc at uni.
 
#4
davethomson2007 said:
i wanna make it clear i did my GCSE maths 6 Years ago and i did the practice gcse test the other day and got 98% so my Maths is easily good enough now after doing accoutning etc at uni.
What is your A Level in?

However lets not forget that GCSE's are only there to get you to the next step, IE A levels, and then onto a degree, so in theory you degree should nullify your GCSE's.

Personally i think you should aim for Officer, unless there is a reason why you want to go as a OR? Depends what you want out of your time in service?
 
#5
Thankfully Dave Thomson 2007 who is about to join the Para Regt no one will ever guess your identity from your avatar.

Be a bit more careful unless your real name is Thomas Davidson

HH
 
#6
Surely having a degree outweighs not having a C at maths. Contact your old uni and see if the senior lecturer on your course will write you a letter stating that you are easily above the standard of a GCSE grade C. If you did modules covering quantitative methods, operational research, and principals of accountancy there is no way they can say you are innumerate.

I would make every attempt possible to get a commission before joining the ranks but thats just my view with the benefit of hindsight.

Bear in mind though you may not get offered a commission in the Paras.

Dont set you sights low, you'll only regret it when you are older.

Please don't use your name on the internet for christ's sake its supposed to be an anonymous forum. More people work for Tesco's than the Army and any bone comments will come back to haunt you.
 
#8
davethomson2007 said:
haha its not my real name. That would be stupid!

I just made up the name.
oohh, quick, back peddle!!!!!
 
#10
Im a graduate who entered as a regular soldier. So many people have degrees now, they are not seen as anything special.

Although mine is a Disney Degree to be fair!
 
#12
With that background, I would say "yes".

Try for a Commission first, but you won't necessarily be able to join the Parachute Regiment (unless they like the look of you)!

Litotes
 
#13
dont worry!!! I got comissioned and had no GCE or GCSE......only a basic cert of Army Education......grade 3...just able to read and write...
 
#14
As you are a graduate mate. what made you go down the regular rather than officer route.

yes i posted in here and in officer section to help get the widest response from users of both forums.
 
#17
I went and did the Pre RCB, passed, then decided I had hated every minute so I buggered off to be a holiday rep for a year or two.

Had a long time to think, and the actual job I wanted to do, was that of a regular soldier. My trade is higher pay band, and quick promotion, and I dont regret it at all.
 
#18
davethomson2007 said:
???

My real name is not really what i have listed so i doubt i am who you think i am mate!
Irony is, apparently, lost on you.
 
#19
im afriad i was never reg so the maths thing i cant answer infact im not even ta anymore.

however i am a teacher.

If you want a maths GCSE do the following

Go to your nearest FE college that offers GCSE. Go to the registry department, Ask to enrol as an external candidate on the higher level maths GCSE. (the maths higher has a lower grade needed to get a C usually 40%, which is easily achievable as 60% of the higher level papers come from the foundation paper normally). This will cost you 18 pounds to enrol pay the 18 pounds you will get given an examination date and student number. the student number may come closer to the time dont worry if you dont get it until a few weeks before. The GCSE tend to be run three times a year as people take resits or take them early.

There may be a sitting in september (although not always), January and March. If you cant get a commision without maths delay entry and try this route.

YOU MUST ASK THE COLLEGE TO GO AS AN EXTERNAL CANDIDATE OR THEY WILL SIGN YOU UP FOR A 1 YEAR GCSE COURSE.

Hope this helps.

also as you have a 2:2 in business the algebra in the higher paper should be cake for you
 
#20
Nutter said:
im afriad i was never reg so the maths thing i cant answer infact im not even ta anymore.

however i am a teacher.

If you want a maths GCSE do the following

Go to your nearest FE college that offers GCSE. Go to the registry department, Ask to enrol as an external candidate on the higher level maths GCSE. (the maths higher has a lower grade needed to get a C usually 40%, which is easily achievable as 60% of the higher level papers come from the foundation paper normally). This will cost you 18 pounds to enrol pay the 18 pounds you will get given an examination date and student number. the student number may come closer to the time dont worry if you dont get it until a few weeks before. The GCSE tend to be run three times a year as people take resits or take them early.

There may be a sitting in september (although not always), January and March. If you cant get a commision without maths delay entry and try this route.

YOU MUST ASK THE COLLEGE TO GO AS AN EXTERNAL CANDIDATE OR THEY WILL SIGN YOU UP FOR A 1 YEAR GCSE COURSE.

Hope this helps.

also as you have a 2:2 in business the algebra in the higher paper should be cake for you
And as a teacher you should also know that the nominative case personal pronoun 'I' is always written as 'I', and never as 'i'.

Not that getting anything right seems to be an aim of education these days, so perhaps I am being a touch old-fashioned.

PAW
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top