am i too old to rejoin.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by sheffielder, Aug 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. left 4 yorks which was an infantry unit in 88 cos of employer problems,concentrated on my carreer in the NHS untill now,been an nursing auxiliary for 20 years and i have level 2 nvq in care and half way through level 3 nvq.as well as the odd o u qualifications under my belt,after years of neglect ive finally got my fitness back.but at the age of 42 am i wasting my time reapplying to join the TA but in the medical corp this time where i may do some good or had i better pick up my zimmer frame instead.

2. msr

msr LE

No, I don't think that you are, however, the best place to ask is probably at your local medical TA Centre.

msr

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yeah...Combat Med Tech's are in short supply. I think you would be made very welcome.

On the age side, I joined the TA at 40 (with a bit of previous time in another arm) and have just finished, not because of fitness or on age grounds ( they would have kept me on till 50+) but because Erin Dawes didn't want me to come out to play anymore.

I have a mate who is NHS Theatre Technician in his day job who deployed as our Regimental Combat Medic on Telic....unless anyone else volunteers I can put you in touch with him if you decide to pursue.

If you don't get any other joy from this post ( eg Serving TA medics) and you want to have a chat with him, PM me.

Le Chevre

4. thanks for the info but it seems that strensill say in an email that HCA have been accepted since april 2005 and the age limit is 35.can't win them all

5. 38 Sigs Regt in Sheffield have vacancies for medics, they also have many ex 4 Yorks & 3 DWR guys. So chances are you'd meet some familiar faces.

6. thanks polar will do,have you got any more advice as ive been out of the loop for 17 years

7. sheffielder - likely to give you a lower effective rank ceiling as you may struggle to make the promotion windows but can't believe you would be turned away. I've got AGC personnel in their 60s doing a fantastic job.

8. PM me some details but anyway I'll check up next Tuesday.... or u could ring the PSAO 64 Sig Sqn, I'm sure he'd give u all the answers u need (I think he'd snap u up straight away).

38 Sigs (HQ) is in the Manor area at the MO but maybe moving elsewhere in the city

9. If you are prepared to be flexible, there are units with higher age limits. Group A TA who work with UOTCs can be enlisted at your age, if no luck I know that some R.A.F Auxiliary units will take applicants in their late 40s I'm not sure if this includes medics and medevac folk, but its got to be worth checking. Best of luck mate.