Am I Too Old To Join

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Fishsoxs, Jun 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am seriously thinking about jacking in my civvy logistics job, although i enjoy it and can go places with it, i find the forces life appealing.

Currently serving in a TA infantry regiment and loving it - but at 25 am i too old to go regular?

Advice and abuse welcome :p
  2. Fishy,

Check the Army's website, but I think the maximum age is 29.

Remember that you will be competing with the 18-22 year olds that form the bulk of the intake. Infantry soldiering is a young man's game, although you would bring a huge amount of experience and maturity to the party!

Add 22 years to your age and that is when you would retire.... (although I think you would be eligible for the new pension after 18 years).

Instead of the Infantry, why not use your logistics skills and join the RLC?

If you like what you have seen so far, don't hang around... do it now!

3. Fishy,

Try this link. Infantry SoldierI states that to join as an infantry soldier you have a ceiling of 26 years and 11 months. There are plenty of trades in the RLC including Ammo Tech which seems to be an awesome job. I too am 25 and I have some weight to lose and some fitness to gain before I can leave my TA unit and join up. Good luck to you mate.
  4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

What about Int Corps? 28, and ten years in a TA infantry regt?
  5. Hiya mate, i'm 25 too and wanting to join up. It says in all the pamphlets and stuff that the maximum age is 26.9 (whatever that actually is), but i've heard from various other sources that different jobs accept higher ages depending on the job and your skills. Good luck.
  6. 26.9 = 26 years and 9!!!! Months old!
  7. I am guilty of firing from the hip, so.....

Soldier Age Limits

Officer Age Limits

But I note that the Infantry has an upper age limit of 26 yrs and 11 mths.

8. I was 28 and 7 months when I joined the REME so if you have any queries about what it is like as a more mature recruit then PM me and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

My biggest peice of advice is to get fit now, this will cut down on any injuries you might have as your body wont recover as fast as an 17-18 year olds.

Also remember that even though you are older during training you will still have to endure to crap that a 17-18 year old would.

If you still think it is for you then go for it your age and experience will defintely give you an edge if you are good at your job, switched on etc.
  9. Fishsoxs

Or you could get yourself on a Telic or Herrick Tour - prove you are a good egg and the unit you serve with will probably ask you to stay with them - we just lost two good soldiers that way - good luck to them both

10. Always the S-type/FTRS route as of luck mate
  11. Well done to her!
  12. I joined when I was 25 about a year ago, had no problems, as long as you can put up with being called grandad and such, should be ok! As for fitness, I can still do mile and half in about 8:15, beating most of the younger one's...also you should find tabbing that little bit its not all doom and gloom, just ache's and pains! Many will have you to believe that the army is soley geared upto younger recruits, not so, the baths in army accommodation have those little hand rail thingy's on the side to accommodate for us.
  13. Thanks for all the advice so far ... with regards getting onto a tour I am lokoing at going to Afghan or Iraq with our parent unit when they next go and will bear in mind that if they like me they may ask me to stay.

So once again thanks and will enjoy reading the further posts :wink: :lol: