Am I too old for TA infantry?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by johnnyonthespot, Sep 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am 33...keep myself fit and do a lot of running, swimming etc? Not sure what TA unit to join and possibly interested in some full on soldiering for a few years while I still can? Just wondered if at 33 am too old? I know the age limit is up to 43 now, but compared to young whipper snappers in there late teens and early 20's, both in the unit and on exercise with the regs, realistically am I gonna be strugglin to keep up?

2. msr

msr LE

3. You may feel a bit out of place during training, but I know at least one 60 year olds who is fitter than me (well, in certain respects at least).

What may be more of an obstacle is your job and family situation, and whether this fits with the expectation of mobilisation. This is sometimes easier when you are younger and have fewr ties.

4. Not being funny, but why the question mark at the end of your sentence? Do you do a lot of exercise?

Look at a few units - it's a buyer's market! Find one that suits you, take it from there.

Good luck.

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I went through Grantham at 33 and onto Telic at 34 so it can be done
    You will never know until you give it a go
    Have you looked at other units or do you wnat to be infantry for a specific reason?

6. get into the INF.....all the best

TN

7. Am considering all sorts, mainly sigs, engineers and inf all in my area......i know proof of pudding will be in going to visit the units but am split on what trade/role I actually want, and then find a friendly unit to get involved with and accomodate me...just dont wanna pick a trade/role and find am maxxed out after the first couple of days and wishin I had chosen something else with a more shiny arse aspect to it.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Better to be "maxed out" as you put it, and then transfer to a less demanding unit than set your sights at a lower level and wish that you had aimed higher.

Usual advice:

Visit them all, ask about their recruit training process and then make your decision. Also, remember that people do not stop serving in the infantry at the age of 33. Most of the officers and NCOs will be over 30, and still doing all of the fitness activities.

9. If you're pretty fit you'll likely be streets ahead of the average early-20s recruit. Like you I'm towards the older end of the group, haven't had any problems with the phys and seem to be one of the fitter people on the course (we're just finishing recruits now).

To be honest I've not really noticed people's different ages anyway, we're all novices and learning as we go along. So basically go for infantry if that's what you want!

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

johnnyonthespot,

From my own experience I would suggest that if you've got half a mind to be an infantryman then try that first, you can always transfer to a support unit later if it doesn't work out. If you do it the other way around you will of course be older and catching up may be harder. 33 is by no means a problem regards joining the TA infantry if you are fit and active.

11. Not too old at all.

The best endurance runners in the world are in their 30s and what you really need as a soldier is stamina.

Get stuck in. I'm slightly biased but would be tempted also to look at the TA recce (yeomanry) units depending on where you live and how far you're prepared to travel.

12. 33 is not to old at all.
    Which part of the UK are you based in, I'm sure Arrse will give you an unbiased view on your local units :D

13. It's funny you should say that as I would LOVE to do cavalary> I reckon that would be my genuine first choice but there are none near me (trust me I've checked 'TA near yew' and RAC website). Nearest ones would be 80 -100 mile round trip on a tuesday night, and after work, I'd be pushed to get there by half seven. :x Joint Second choice is infantry/engineers and third, sigs i think.

14. Come on. Show some commitment. Move job!

15. I used to travel regularly from London to the Leicester squadron for drill nights and weekends etc. Well worth it IMO but that was an easy train service and/or drive so it may be different for you.

I'm sure TA infantry have a craic as well. I'm sure you'll go and have a look and make your own mind up.