Am I too old for TA infantry?

#1
Am 33...keep myself fit and do a lot of running, swimming etc? Not sure what TA unit to join and possibly interested in some full on soldiering for a few years while I still can? Just wondered if at 33 am too old? I know the age limit is up to 43 now, but compared to young whipper snappers in there late teens and early 20's, both in the unit and on exercise with the regs, realistically am I gonna be strugglin to keep up?
 
#3
You may feel a bit out of place during training, but I know at least one 60 year olds who is fitter than me (well, in certain respects at least).

What may be more of an obstacle is your job and family situation, and whether this fits with the expectation of mobilisation. This is sometimes easier when you are younger and have fewr ties.
 
#4
johnnyonthespot said:
Am 33...keep myself fit and do a lot of running, swimming etc?
Not being funny, but why the question mark at the end of your sentence? Do you do a lot of exercise?

johnnyonthespot said:
Not sure what TA unit to join and possibly interested in some full on soldiering for a few years while I still can? Just wondered if at 33 am too old?
Look at a few units - it's a buyer's market! Find one that suits you, take it from there.

Good luck.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#5
johnnyonthespot said:
Am 33...keep myself fit and do a lot of running, swimming etc? Not sure what TA unit to join and possibly interested in some full on soldiering for a few years while I still can? Just wondered if at 33 am too old? I know the age limit is up to 43 now, but compared to young whipper snappers in there late teens and early 20's, both in the unit and on exercise with the regs, realistically am I gonna be strugglin to keep up?
I went through Grantham at 33 and onto Telic at 34 so it can be done
You will never know until you give it a go
Have you looked at other units or do you wnat to be infantry for a specific reason?
 
#7
the_boy_syrup said:
johnnyonthespot said:
Am 33...keep myself fit and do a lot of running, swimming etc? Not sure what TA unit to join and possibly interested in some full on soldiering for a few years while I still can? Just wondered if at 33 am too old? I know the age limit is up to 43 now, but compared to young whipper snappers in there late teens and early 20's, both in the unit and on exercise with the regs, realistically am I gonna be strugglin to keep up?
I went through Grantham at 33 and onto Telic at 34 so it can be done
You will never know until you give it a go
Have you looked at other units or do you wnat to be infantry for a specific reason?
Am considering all sorts, mainly sigs, engineers and inf all in my area......i know proof of pudding will be in going to visit the units but am split on what trade/role I actually want, and then find a friendly unit to get involved with and accomodate me...just dont wanna pick a trade/role and find am maxxed out after the first couple of days and wishin I had chosen something else with a more shiny arse aspect to it.
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#8
Better to be "maxed out" as you put it, and then transfer to a less demanding unit than set your sights at a lower level and wish that you had aimed higher.

Usual advice:

Visit them all, ask about their recruit training process and then make your decision. Also, remember that people do not stop serving in the infantry at the age of 33. Most of the officers and NCOs will be over 30, and still doing all of the fitness activities.
 
#9
If you're pretty fit you'll likely be streets ahead of the average early-20s recruit. Like you I'm towards the older end of the group, haven't had any problems with the phys and seem to be one of the fitter people on the course (we're just finishing recruits now).

To be honest I've not really noticed people's different ages anyway, we're all novices and learning as we go along. So basically go for infantry if that's what you want!
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
johnnyonthespot,

From my own experience I would suggest that if you've got half a mind to be an infantryman then try that first, you can always transfer to a support unit later if it doesn't work out. If you do it the other way around you will of course be older and catching up may be harder. 33 is by no means a problem regards joining the TA infantry if you are fit and active.
 
#11
Not too old at all.

The best endurance runners in the world are in their 30s and what you really need as a soldier is stamina.

Get stuck in. I'm slightly biased but would be tempted also to look at the TA recce (yeomanry) units depending on where you live and how far you're prepared to travel.
 
#12
33 is not to old at all.
Which part of the UK are you based in, I'm sure Arrse will give you an unbiased view on your local units :D
 
#13
John_Jorrocks said:
Not too old at all.

The best endurance runners in the world are in their 30s and what you really need as a soldier is stamina.

Get stuck in. I'm slightly biased but would be tempted also to look at the TA recce (yeomanry) units depending on where you live and how far you're prepared to travel.
It's funny you should say that as I would LOVE to do cavalary> I reckon that would be my genuine first choice but there are none near me (trust me I've checked 'TA near yew' and RAC website). Nearest ones would be 80 -100 mile round trip on a tuesday night, and after work, I'd be pushed to get there by half seven. :x Joint Second choice is infantry/engineers and third, sigs i think.
 
#15
johnnyonthespot said:
John_Jorrocks said:
Not too old at all.

The best endurance runners in the world are in their 30s and what you really need as a soldier is stamina.

Get stuck in. I'm slightly biased but would be tempted also to look at the TA recce (yeomanry) units depending on where you live and how far you're prepared to travel.
It's funny you should say that as I would LOVE to do cavalary> I reckon that would be my genuine first choice but there are none near me (trust me I've checked 'TA near yew' and RAC website). Nearest ones would be 80 -100 mile round trip on a tuesday night, and after work, I'd be pushed to get there by half seven. :x Joint Second choice is infantry/engineers and third, sigs i think.
I used to travel regularly from London to the Leicester squadron for drill nights and weekends etc. Well worth it IMO but that was an easy train service and/or drive so it may be different for you.

I'm sure TA infantry have a craic as well. I'm sure you'll go and have a look and make your own mind up.
 
#16
Yeah, definitely worth a look I think.
 
#17
johnnyonthespot said:
Yeah, definitely worth a look I think.
Definitely time to stop fannying about on arrse - get in there and mix it with them :D

msr
 
#18
i joined 10 years ago when i was 32. i have been mobilised 3 times since 2002 and have served in iraq and afghan.

although i struggled initially with fitness levels i soon caught up. as you get older you develop more stamina. you may not be as fast as the whippets but you will get there and keep going long after they are crying for their mummys and clutching their teddy bears

seriously though do not allow anyone to put you off because of your age.

on a more serious than serious note dont YOU allow your age to hold you back. if you find yourself struggling then work harder. you have a lot more experience of that than the young pups :p
 
#19
LordVonHarley said:
33 is not to old at all.
Which part of the UK are you based in, I'm sure Arrse will give you an unbiased view on your local units :D
Any thoughts on 3rd Battalion The Royal Anglians Northampton?
 
#20
Ozzymick said:
Any thoughts on 3rd Battalion The Royal Anglians Northampton?
I had'nt but just had a look at their site and a fine body of soldiers am sure. I also like the fact that the 2nd Battalion have a recruiting officer in Boston called Sgt 'Bobby' Sands......very funny!
 

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top