• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Am I the right cut for HCR (Blues and Royals)

#1
Looking for opinions on whether or not im a suitable candidate as a commissioned officer in the HCR specifically the Blues and Royals.

I have all the ticks in the boxes for going regular in Sept10 and have been awarded an army undergraduate bursary.

I don't come from money, and really just want to know is this a problem?

Appreciate all your help
 
B

Bottleosmoke

Guest
#5
As mentioned above. I think your original post has already answered the question.

Unless of course you have ginger hair or can write and sing girly songs!
 
B

Bottleosmoke

Guest
#7
Oops . I have just noticed that your thread is titled "the right cut".

Sorry, my bad!
 
#8
Haha yes I normally can spell!
Thanks for pointing that out!

Reversionary_Modes said:
Sorry to rain on your parade, but if you need to ask ...

Yea I see where you're coming from, in years gone by I know it was a factor in determining if a PO was suitable (though I'm sure that was never the official line) but now is it really as big a factor opposed to the quality of the individual?
 
R

really?_fascinating

Guest
#9
Yes, it is a huge factor - if the mess you are aspiring to does not want you to be a member of it, you won't be!
 
#10
The answer lies in a few simple questions, if the answer is yes to ALL of them, then you qualify.

1. Do u own a Volvo?
2. Do u own a Horse?
3. Do you talk like the queen chewing a wasp?
4. Do u think u r above all the other scum?
5. Do u have a gun dog?
6. Do you have bright yellow cords?
 
B

Bottleosmoke

Guest
#11
pensionprisoner said:
The answer lies in a few simple questions, if the answer is yes to ALL of them, then you qualify.

1. Do u own a Volvo?
2. Do u own a Horse?
3. Do you talk like the queen chewing a wasp?
4. Do u think u r above all the other scum?
5. Do u have a gun dog?
6. Do you have bright yellow cords?[/quote]

With red socks!
 
#12
Bottleosmoke said:
pensionprisoner said:
The answer lies in a few simple questions, if the answer is yes to ALL of them, then you qualify.

1. Do u own a Volvo?
2. Do u own a Horse?
3. Do you talk like the queen chewing a wasp?
4. Do u think u r above all the other scum?
5. Do u have a gun dog?
6. Do you have bright yellow cords?[/quote]

With red socks!
7. Do u want to be a Cavalry Officer so you can strap a guitar to a CVRT and sing like a puff walking on hot knives?
 
B

Bottleosmoke

Guest
#13
pensionprisoner said:
Bottleosmoke said:
pensionprisoner said:
The answer lies in a few simple questions, if the answer is yes to ALL of them, then you qualify.

1. Do u own a Volvo?
2. Do u own a Horse?
3. Do you talk like the queen chewing a wasp?
4. Do u think u r above all the other scum?
5. Do u have a gun dog?
6. Do you have bright yellow cords?[/quote]

With red socks!
7. Do u want to be a Cavalry Officer so you can strap a guitar to a CVRT and sing like a puff walking on hot knives?
As I said above. Sort of!
 
#14
Have you visited the HCR (or any other Regiment)?

Did you like the officers, the atmosphere in the Mess & gain any sort of feeling that you would enjoy living and working alongside them?

Did you spend time with the soldiers and, again, gain the impression that you would enjoy serving with them?

I know two sorts of officers who joined the HCR - those with "money" as you put it, and those without. All extremely decent and hard-working.

Get on a visit.
 
#15
Well was in the Off Mess there a month ago in Bovvi and was chattin with a lot of newly commissioned troop leaders on their troopies course inc two guys from the blues and royals.

Honestly they were great blokes as were all the other guys from the different regiments. Speakin to them all together it made the choice even harder as I could see myself living in the mess with any of them.
 
#17
rjmconkers said:
Looking for opinions on whether or not im a suitable candidate as a commissioned officer in the HCR specifically the Blues and Royals.

I have all the ticks in the boxes for going regular in Sept10 and have been awarded an army undergraduate bursary.

I don't come from money, and really just want to know is this a problem?

Appreciate all your help
Having served as gentleman soldier and trooper in the Blues and Royals I feel heartily proud to be RHG/D take no notice of these gay poofters who cant hack a real mans job and go for it matey.

all the best

PoGs

www.pocketcomms.co.uk
 
#18
There has some real rubbish posted about whether you need lots of money to join the HCR (or indeed any HDiv or Cavalry Regiment). The short answer is that it doesn't matter particularly if you are incredibly rich or as as poor as a church mouse. What matters is you.

Go along and have a look. Listen to what people (in the regiment) say about it. If you go along and you like them and they like you, then great. If you go along and either decide that they are not for you or they decide that you are not for them, then so be it. It is all about finding a regiment which suits you and which your personality will also suit. This means: Do you get on with the officers? Do you get on with the soldiers? Does the role of the regiment suit you?

Different regiments recruit different personality types as officers. Go along, be yourself and if you fit straight in then great, if not find somewhere else to go. Simple as that.
 

Latest Threads