Am I the only one who doesn't get 3D

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by re-stilly, Feb 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have sat through a couple of 3D films and I have seen no difference between them and the standard 2D ones. Am I the only mong on the bus or are there more people who just don't get it.

2. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Nope. I'm CP4 according to Ishihara tests. It means my reds and greens are a little out (and probably explains some wardrobe colour choices over the years).

I've done a few 3D ride experiences at fairs and trade expos over the years. All I get is impaired vision and nausea.

Is your colour vision 100 per cent?

3. No. 3D is just an easy ploy to get people into the cinema, and away from their home cinema, again. You see, the writers of the tosh that is produced now hold their audience in contempt and aren't talented enough to make a good film, even if they were interested in actually making a good film. They think we're all thick and want to lure us into the cinema and shell out on overpriced drinks and polystyrene errrr popcorn.

It's a shame that now, when we can screens with more colours and a higher resolution than real life, they all make it blurry again and sell it as 3D...

It also doesn't help that most are converted into 3D post-production as an afterthough. Except for Avatar, that was the only 3D film I saw that actually worked and looked impressive. All the others just give me a headache.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I take it you have the use of both eyes? :)

5. No like you reds and greens are not functioning to their full capacity

6. Cold_Collation

I've always just assumed it was that - mainly because the old 3D glasses were one red and one green lens, not because of any scientific basis. I've not seen any improvement (no pun intended) with the newer-type glasses.

7. New 3D technology has nothing to do with red and green vision issues.

I have a 3D tv/blu-ray player etc (I'm flash like that) and some programs look excellent in 3D. They've started showing a lot of sports in 3D. Rugby looks awesome in 3D, as does golf (surprisingly) as you get a real feel for the depth. In golf you can really see the undulations on the greens that I've never noticed before in 2D.

My blu-ray player also upscales 2D to 3D if I want it to. I watched the new "Tinker Tailor" a couple of nights ago in 3D. The upscaling does work, but it doesn't look quite as good as something filmed in proper 3D.

8. Nope not just you, it's a case of The Emperors New Clothes all this 3D shit. I've been to see a couple of films 3D now and can honestly say that it didn't add a ******* thing to the film.
    Moreover the fact I had to sit inside with a pair of sunglasses on looking like ******* Bono really pissed me off.
    Hype pure and simple, even 3D telly I've been told by a couple of people I know, they watched a couple of films and never bothered after that, couldn't even be arsed looking for the specs!

9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Sorry for the thread hi jack, but since we are already on the subject of TV/Films.

Anyone got an HD projector?

I've got a big room that needs a TV and it crossed my mind that I could get a projector instead. I'm considering getting one of the ones with the Freeview channels built in.

Like this: FULL HD LED Projector with a ceiling mount USB Freeview 50000 LED Lamp Life on eBay!

What's the score, any good? Can I just project it straight on to a white wall or do I need to buy a special screen?

10. On the subject of HD projectors, I have one, and would recommend using a proper screen. At first glance that looks like good value for money, but be careful of the maximum picture sizes quoted by any manufacturer. Firstly, and probably quite obviously, the bigger the picture, the darker the picture. Secondly, there is a limited amount of zoom on all but the most expensive models, which in plain terms means that the size of the picture is pretty much governed by the distance the projector is from the screen - to fill my 2m wide screen my projector has to be over 5m away.

11. Cold_Collation

Oh, ffs don't - you'll open the flood gates to Stacker1 turning up and telling us how we can all have big houses if we live in the back end of beyond. I'm still getting over his last brain fart on the topic.

12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Coolio, cheers for the advice. It's a massive room so no snags in that respect, I'm just thinking about this from a cost point of view. 2 grand for a decent big **** off telly or 300 quid for a projector.

13. 3D is being slowly ditched by the main manufactures, Samsung, Sony etc. It's too expensive for the film and TV studios and it hasn't sold well.

The drive now is for Super HD, so expect to see 3D quietly shelved.

14. Really? I wasn't aware of that. There has been an increase in the amount of 3D TV that is shown. The BBC filmed the strictly come dancing final in 3D, and broadcast that on a seperate channel apparently.