Am I Student at Staff College?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Adjutant, Aug 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Apparently, if you're on one of the old Staff Courses - or similar of more than 12 months duration, you can legitamately tell the tax-man you're a Student, based on the fact that you're in full-time education.

    Does anyone have any experience of this? Apparently there's a form to be had from the admin office....
  2. Mr_Fingerz

    Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

    This is from the Revenue and Customs website ( frequently asked questions:

    I'm a full time student, why am I paying tax?

    All individuals regardless of their age are liable to pay Income Tax if their income exceeds their personal allowance

    If you only work during the three holiday periods (Christmas, Easter and Summer) and you estimate that your total income for the tax year will be less than the personal allowance, ask your employer for a form P38(S). Return the completed form to your employer to enable your wages to be paid without deduction of Income Tax.

    Completion of this form is not applicable if you are working during term time (e.g. evenings or weekends).

    If you're at Staff College it's probably fair to assume that your income will exceed your tax allowances (look at your tax code), and you will still be paying tax on your salary.
  3. Yea right, pigs fly and suicide bombers do not intentionally want to kill people. Whilst in receipt of full time pay from your employer you are not a student and will be taxed as normal. I have never heard of YofS, FofS, tiffy's or anyone on a long course doing this, so therefore someone has fed you some smelly stuff.
  4. Bad CO

    Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

    I'm sad to state that Adjutant is correct - as long as you study for the MA then you can be considered as being a full time student. This is regardless of the fact that you are being paid by HM. The main bonuses of this are:

    1. No council tax (unbelievably).
    2. NUS card (even more unbelievably .... )

    Not sure if there are any benefits for those people fortunate to be going to overseas staff colleges .....
  5. Which gives you substantially reduced green fees on a number of decent golf courses, together with a pile of discounts, some of which relate to products that are less tacky than you might expect :D
  6. Coat, door,going. If true are there any links out there, this could benefit alot of people.
  7. Bad CO

    Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

    Key thing to note is that you must be doing the MA!
  8. That certainly applies at Staff College, but it's worth making the point that a number of other courses the Army uses will also meet the requirement: "A student is someone attending a Qualifying Course at a Prescribed Educational Establishment." A number of officer and soldier courses meet the requirement, and students will generally be notified if they qualify. If not, but you think you might qualify, the Council Tax exemption alone makes it worth asking the question, particularly if you're living alone (so you are completely exempt from Council Tax).
  9. also you can get a dicount in scream pubs which for 5iver gets you a card for life its worth 50 odd p a pint.
  10. Can you tell me if this covers Army run HND courses as well.
  11. Sadly, unless things have changed since last year this is NOT the case. Every year, people turn up asking for the appropriate waiver to be signed, and every year e-mails are sent round by the COS (or one of his chaps) regretfully pointing out that you're not eligible for the Council tax waiver. I forget the precise reason for this, but I'm sure an e-mail will be doing the rounds before the end of September explaining why unless the situation has changed (just as one going to all staff telling us not to sign the forms will be appearing at the same time).

    This has happened every year since we opened shop at Shrivenham....

    This *is* true, if you're doing the MA. If you're accepted for the MA, you become a student of KCL - logically enough, since you're enrolled on a University of London degree. Unlike the Council Tax people, KCL doesn't differentiate between ACSC students and others. As far as the college is concerned, you're registered on a KCL degree and *have* to have the same benefits as all other KCL students. The card you get serves as a KCL ID card to get you into the buildings in London should you go there for any reason as well as the NUS card. There are a couple of other things you're entitled to if you're an MA student (nothing particularly exciting, though), details of which are provided at the start of the ACSC.
  12. Does that include student loans as well? LOL.
  13. Does this mean that all those poor souls on ICSC, who take up the very generous offer of the Modular Masters Programme, get an NUS card every year for the rest of their career as they complete their degree?

    That's a lot of cheap cinema tickets and visits to Pizza Hut!
  14. if your other half is a bit of a habitat fan NUS gets you 10% off there as well
  15. Although I'm not of that ilk, the RSIGNALS Foreman of Signals course is residential for approx two years at Blandford and they get a BSc (Hons) from (I think) Bournemouth or Portsmouth University. Surely they must be entitled to the same benefits?