Am i right for gunner light gun?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by muzz, Feb 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. G'day,

Been looking into a career in the armed forces for a while now and gunner light gun appeals to me greatly. I have cp4 colour perception and I am worried if this will bar me from service in this role. Can anybody confirm that I am still eligible? Would cp4 prevent me from attempting the AACC or P-Company, with a view to serving with 29cdo or 7rha?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Cheers.

2. Have you spoken to a recruiter yet?

I'm no Gunner, but I can imagine that being colour-blind could be a disadvantage when different types of shells are identified by coloured bands.

3. Yes I have via email as I live overseas and would be joining as a member of the commonwealth. The recruiter has assured me that I am but I am a bit suss about it for the exact reason you have just given. Just wanted to see if anyone on here had gotten in with it/ been rejected or knew someone who had.

4. It may depend on your Ishihara score (I think that's spelt right), which is the test used certainly by the army and RM to assess colour blindness. It's scored out of 15, and measures your ability to distinguish different colours. Any optician should be able to provide this service for you, although they may charge. I'm not a recruitment board doctor, but if you want to be a cdo or para gunner, you can't be too colour-blind. Your best bet is to ask the Army.

5. Thanks for your replies, I did get in touch with an army recruiter... I sent an email asking him if I would be eligible to serve as a gunner light gun with cp4 colour vision (i have failed the ishihara plates and holmes wright lantern) he got back and said "Artillery is a cp4 so your o.k" I just wanted to get this confirmed because i got knocked back from the australian army for my colour perception and thought it was a bit suss him saying in sweet. Do recruiters get a bit of creative liscense with these sorts of questions? I don't want to travel half way across the globe to find out it was b.s.

cheers.

6. If the guy said you're ok, then at a guess you are OK.

I'll ask a cruity I know, he is a gun bunny to boot. So should be all over it.

7. Thanks mate, that'd be tops.