Am i responsible for comments made on a facebook page?

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by chrisg46, May 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Folks, some advice please

In my unit, we have an NCO who is less than popular - I wont go into details at risk of identifying him. Anyway, a few years ago, i took some "happy snap" photos on exercise and posted them to facebook. Others began to comment on there, with less than complimentary descriptions of him. He saw them at the time, nothing was said.

Late last week, someone else saw this pic and made a similarly less than complimentary comment - more followed, culminating in a closed group being created to celebrate his exploits.
    At this point, Teddys have been thrown out of the pram, the group has been removed (presumably by Facebook) and the original pic is now hidden.
    The nco in question has had a bit of a cry on his own profile, then vented a bit at a female on a reunion website who had made a one word contribution to my pic.

Anyway, if you followed all that, my query is this; am i responsible for the comments made, as it was my photo? I never joined in, or "liked" any of them, and disapproved of the group being created - it named him directly, and he is after all a serving NCO, despite his failings - Was about to say so on the group, but it closed before i posted. I can see him taking this further and not sure if i can be agai'd or not?
  2. Thats what happens when you put pictures on the Internet. No idea to be honest, but IMHO you are the one that put the picture there for people to comment on, so I would say you are responsible for it all.
  3. Not sure on the mil issue, but as you had the ability to delete comments on any photo's posted by yourself, I think you'll find it pretty difficult to deny that you had any responsibility for the negative comments posted by others?

As you have the ability to do that, isn't there some implications on self-censorship and editorial control?
  4. In the context of the new group, no.

However, morally at least, you are responsible for allowing derogatory comments to remain on your original content.
  5. If someone sticks a BFO axe through your front-door you might consider it a fair indication that you're a bit responsible.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Did you in anyway encourage the comments by, for example, agreeing with them?

Did the one word contribution from the lady make reference to one of her bodily parts?

I have no expertise on this subject, or for that matter many others - I do however have a very powerful sense of curiosity.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chrisg46

You're right, and i did wonder at the time if i should take the offending comments off - however, as the guy had seen them, and even liked some of them (?!?!), i assumed he wasnt overly bothered and therefore let them lie. He is after all, an adult.
  8. chrisg46

Nope to the first question, and the word she used was "Special". This might be a reference to one of her lady parts, but i dont know her well enough to ask!!:p

9. You know the rules....

Cough off up a snap of the 'special' one.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. If he saw the photos and expressed approval of the pisstaking rather than complaining, then you can reasonably say that he was a willing party.

For the other thing, unless you gave explicit permission for your photos to be used for the purpose of identifying him and pissing on him, then you're not to blame in civil or criminal law.
  11. If you are the sort of throbber that needs MyFaceSpaceBook in your life then you deserve all you get, especially when your persec is shite. Sympathy and support nil and I hope the NCO dry bums you.

12. In short, no - you're not responsible for other peoples comments. However, strictly speaking you should have got a model release form to post the photo, but no one is going to chase that up if the photo wasn't taken or posted for profit or gain
  13. chrisg46 - hopefully you saved screenshots of the alleged photo? if he had liked a few comment's but took offence to it suggest''s he can only take the crack if it either: go's his way or has it in for you.

Perhaps your the closest/easiest target for him?
  14. chrisg46

Well so far, nothing has been aimed in my direction - I am not overly worried about the whole situation, although i don't think it fair that a serving NCO is publicly ridiculed, bellthronk or not.
    Just not sure if i should stand my ground if someone decides to haul me over the coals, or if i should just take the shoeing. Currently inclined to just repeat "it wasnt me"