Am i qualified enough to be a Army Officer applicant?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Signallers, Feb 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

Right, 5 GCSE's C and above, 3 A Levels and soon to possibly have a University Degree, haven't decided yet what i want to study at University.

Is this adequate enough to be a British Army Officer Applicant?
  2. How many UCAS points for your A-levels?
  3. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

4. Then yes.
  5. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

Will it make any difference if i get a degree or not?
  6. No, but it might make a difference to your future in general. Ruperts don't always last and need to look to their future careers and prospects.
  7. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

Okay it's BSc Honours Degree in Outdoor Adventure and Leadership Management!
  8. RAF Reg. then..!!
    • Like Like x 5
  9. If you're going to be a pretend soldier you might as well have a pretend degree I suppose.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Whilst that is a degree which has a relevance of sorts to the life of a soldier and even an officer the question of protecting your future options seems unanswered by such a qualification.

Oooo Matron is entirely correct. Many officers do not make an entire career out of the army. Consider your situation carefully.

Is what you plan enough to clear the academic requirements for entry to Sandhurst ? Yes, but there is a lot more to it than that.
  11. GCSE in Domestic Science would be handy as a Regt Zob just in case NAAFI shut early.
  12. Er, long as yer leave the maps alone.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. As stated, even though you may soon be the proud owner of a Master's in Outdoor Adventure and Leadership Management, as a regular officer you will NEVER be qualified to map read. Hard, but true! However, if you ask your Platoon Sergeant nicely he may let you hold a map occassionaly, to impress the Troops.
  14. And in return the Platoon OC may teach the Platoon Sgt how to spell 'occasionally'.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

SNCOs don't have to read maps or make plans, they just get to sneer at officers for ******* it up. Having said that, with 280 UCAS points you will be fine but your degree choice is crap: it won't add any great value to your application and it won't get you a job at Morgan Stanley when the army says goodbye after five years; I'd give that some more thought if I were you.
    • Like Like x 1