Am I liable for possible dead dog?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Miner, Oct 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the way into work this morning I hit a dog with my car.

The incident happened on a busy duel carriageway, with no houses along it. The dog ran out in front of a lorry in the inside lane which managed not to hit it, carried on into the outside lane where I hit it. I'd started braking and hit it into the central reservation. The dog was lying senseless (I've no idea if I killed it). Luckily the traffic behind me didn't all crash into each other as I braked.

Now, not thinking straight I carried on to the next junction where I pulled off and called the police (there was no hard shoulder on that stretch of road). They took my details, asked me whether the dog was dead (of which I have no idea), and said they would send someone to recover the dog. They said they would call me on my mobile if they needed to get hold of me.

Now in hindsight after getting my pulse down to a manageable level and after I'd stopped shaking (I've got two dogs myself), I realise I should have taken the dog in my car to a vet at the time. But with it being a really busy duel carriageway (one of the main arteries into the city), I stupidly was more concerned about the traffic.

Am I liable for anything? Whether it's vet fees if the dog wasn't dead (it wasn't moving, so I don't know if it was dead or not), or leaving the scene of an accident? I left so I could pull over and call the police without causing a massive traffic jam (it was rush hour).

I'm already feeling really guilty about hitting the dog. Apart from the fact I love dogs, it was the same size as my little terrier.

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

You did as much as you could without endangering human life, job done, if anyone is at fault it would be the owner of the dog, who could be liable for any damage to your car,

3. You couldn't have stopped to pick the dog up whilst in the fast lane of a dual carriageway. You did what was right.

If the dog wanted a lift he should've stuck out his paw like everyone else, or jumped through the passenger window.

Be thankful it was only the size of your terrier, or it could've seriously fucked your car.

4. What would Tropper have done??

5. Cheers for that.
    It was pretty much my thinking at the time.
    But sometimes the law can be an ass, as they say.

I hope the dogs ok though, poor little thing looked terrified as it ran out from in front of the lorry. Only to have my car possibly knock it into the next world.

6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Open heart surgery in the fast lane without stopping the traffic

7. Vet Walt

TPBD

8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

not on the dog,on Miner

9. Not a great start to the week for the OP, but as others have said there should be no civil or criminal liability or moral blame arising either from hitting the animal in the circumstances described, or from failing to stop on a busy dual carriageway.

10. Surgeon walt

TPBD

11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

No just a very out of date MA1, Keogh 1968/77

12. Bloody hell I wasn't even born then, you really are old!!!

TPBD

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

find out who owned it and sue them for damage done to your car. And bring back dog licences!

14. Glad to hear no one was hurt after the impact of the murdered dog with your car but, you should have picked it up and taken it to the nearest chinese resaurant

As for any damage to your car, I think you would need to prove negligence eg the accident was avoidable by the actions of a reasonable person. If the dog slipped his collar this MAY prove he had taken reasonable steps.

I don't know what the score is if the owner decides to have a claim against you.

15. I'd pay good money to watch some guilt ridden Grauinad reader try to pick up an injured stray dog and put it on the back seat.

There are two safe places with an injured carnivore.

1) 100 metres away and heading in the opposite direction.
    2) 10 metres away with a loaded 12 bore.

They say dog is man's best friend. If my best friend had caved the bumper of my car in I'd stove in his skull.........Oh! you already did.

1 dead dog, good skills. Shame there wasn't someone on benefits holding the lead when you rammed the hound.