Am i eligible for the army with a history of Bipolar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent been treated for the illness in 3 years but i have a sneaky suspicious that i am barred from the forces all together anyone have any ideas?

one_pip_wonder

Old-Salt
I can't say for certian as I do not have the medical sheet infront of me, but I am fairly certain you will find it difficult to gain entry.

Edited: for typing 'teh' instead of 'the'

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Does this mean you have a history of manic depression? Or something similar. If so, and you were give anti - psychotic drugs, I suspect it's highly unlikely you would be allowed in.

No, you are permanently barred from entry to the services. For confirmation look at the JSP 346 sticky under psychological disorders; it's mentioned in there somewhere.

Edited yet again to add a quote from JSP 346:

JSP 346: Mood (Affective) Disorders (F30-F39) said:
3.14.15. Disorders of mood, especially depression are not confined to this category as diagnoses may also be classified in the anxiety and stress related disorder categories. In respect of recruit selection the crucial question is whether stressors have caused the depression or not. If not, then candidates should be graded S8 because there is a normally a serious endogenous vulnerability. If the depression is closely related to, or clearly caused by stressors then the severity, length of the illness and likelihood of relapse are the crucial determinants.

3.14.16. Categories in which candidates should normally be graded S8 include any form of manic disorder (F30), any form of bipolar disorder (F31) and all severe or recurring or persistent depressive disorders (F32.2, F32.3, F33 and F34). Candidates with a diagnosis of mild or moderate depressive episodes (F32.0 and F32.1) with good evidence of preceding stressors may normally be graded S2 provided that the condition resolved within 12 weeks and at least 2 years has elapsed since the candidate was completely well and off all medication12. Two episodes require a deferral of 4 years. A history of 3 episodes or more, even with
clear stressors, indicates excessive vulnerability and these candidates should be graded S8.

It's probably a bit of dream smasher, so I'll go steady (for once).

Not only is it unlikely you will get much further with your application, you need to really take a look at the stresses and danger the armed forces are exposed to at the moment. Teenage angst and the strain of growing up are major hurdles in life and self-harm and mental disorders are common enough, but the Army will REALLY mess you up if you are vulnerable.

I don't wish you luck with your application, because you shouldn't be in; but I am sorry that things probably won't go your way with your application.

Here's the relevant blab from JSP 346 via the sticky linked above:

3.14.16. Categories in which candidates should normally be graded S8 include any
form of manic disorder (F30), any form of bipolar disorder (F31) and all severe or
recurring or persistent depressive disorders (F32.2, F32.3, F33 and F34).
Candidates with a diagnosis of mild or moderate depressive episodes (F32.0 and
F32.1) with good evidence of preceding stressors may normally be graded S2
provided that the condition resolved within 12 weeks and at least 2 years has
elapsed since the candidate was completely well and off all medication12. Two
episodes require a deferral of 4 years. A history of 3 episodes or more, even with
clear stressors, indicates excessive vulnerability and these candidates should be
graded S8.

I would personally take very seriously what JonnoJonno said above, and consider whether this is the right career for an emo, or whether, e.g., psychology or something wouldn't be a better option. No doubt the doctor who makes the final decision on your medical status will have similar considerations in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads