Am i eligible for the army with a history of Bipolar?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by kiza182, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I havent been treated for the illness in 3 years but i have a sneaky suspicious that i am barred from the forces all together anyone have any ideas?
  2. I can't say for certian as I do not have the medical sheet infront of me, but I am fairly certain you will find it difficult to gain entry.

Edited: for typing 'teh' instead of 'the'
  3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Does this mean you have a history of manic depression? Or something similar. If so, and you were give anti - psychotic drugs, I suspect it's highly unlikely you would be allowed in.
  4. No, you are permanently barred from entry to the services. For confirmation look at the JSP 346 sticky under psychological disorders; it's mentioned in there somewhere.

Edited yet again to add a quote from JSP 346:

5. It's probably a bit of dream smasher, so I'll go steady (for once).

Not only is it unlikely you will get much further with your application, you need to really take a look at the stresses and danger the armed forces are exposed to at the moment. Teenage angst and the strain of growing up are major hurdles in life and self-harm and mental disorders are common enough, but the Army will REALLY mess you up if you are vulnerable.

I don't wish you luck with your application, because you shouldn't be in; but I am sorry that things probably won't go your way with your application.
  6. Here's the relevant blab from JSP 346 via the sticky linked above:

I would personally take very seriously what JonnoJonno said above, and consider whether this is the right career for an emo, or whether, e.g., psychology or something wouldn't be a better option. No doubt the doctor who makes the final decision on your medical status will have similar considerations in mind.
  7. Bad news but there you go, end of.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.