Am I eligible for a commission?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Harry515, May 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,
    I am a dual NZ- UK citizen currently living in America...I am coming over to the UK for my A-level but i dont have any GCSE's does this disqualify me from obtaining a commission? If so will a short term as an enlisted soldier exempt me...or is there no way around this.

2. Here you go sh1t lips.

Or if you're finding that a tad tricky, just click this one instead.
  3. Not sure about american/NZ quals, but I know a couple of Saffas whos quals didnt count for anything when they got here.
  4. You need to have been resident in the UK for at least 5 (3 if you qualify for a discretionary waiver) years to join up as an officer anyway.
  5. Not if he's a UK citizen who wasn't living here IIRC. Pretty sure a few blokes I have known had lived in Switzerland, Brussels, Middle-east because of their families' jobs and didn't have to come to the UK for 3 years. If you don't have UK citizenship (a la south africans) then you probably do need this.
  6. not sure. Do you have a hyphen in your surname? if so your in.
  7. The key term is "normally resident". The Home Office have guidelines which state that several hundred days (can't be bothered to google) out of a 5 year period may be spent outside the UK without being questioned, but otherwise you will have to convince the decision makers that you would have been normally resident were it not for your parents having to move abroad for work as you mentioned (or some other suitably robust reason), British passport or no. Don't forget that its also to do with security clearing, not just an arbitrary number. Having a British passport helps with security clearing, just as in civvy street, but it doesn't exempt you from security clearing. All foreign Ocdts are sponsored by their countries' respective MoDs and will be checked out to UK MoD's satisfaction. I suspect that the 3 year waiver would be affected by factors like how many of your grandparents were born British etc.

Edit: by foreign I mean Ocdts who are probably but not necessarily Non-Commonwealth, who will NOT be commissioned into the British Army after they pass-out.
  8. This was my situation once upon a time, and I wasn't allowed to apply until I had been in the UK for five years.

To the OP, it's equivalent. If you have the equivalent, you're fine. I do, and they took my results no questions asked.