Am I crazy, i wanna be a para officer?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by dandanthechainsawman, Apr 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i'd appreciate some advice as the ACIO wasn't that helpful

I'm 16 and doing A-levels, looking to go in at 18 and advice and training suggestions would be very gratefully received

2. do a degree with a bursary you'll have 3 years of fun then join up get paid more and still get to shoot people and command your paras to run at walls for you.

3. Why don't you wait? You may actually do well at university and be able to join an inf unit. :)
    No, really, go to university first. Join the OTC or TA for a bit and then you too may be able to repeatedly run into brick walls when you pass out of RMAS. Gilgamesh is spot-on.

4. Does the armed forces still do bursarys then ?

Where can I find info for this ?

5. i know i could earn more in the long run, but i don't particularly want to be crippled by tuition fees

it was more the joining of the parachute regiment i wanted you're opinions on as i have heard some negative comments in passing

6. Ask on the UOTC thread, a friend of mine is getting financial help with going through Uni, do not know firm detail but I believe there is an agreement that you join as an officer after Uni. I do not think it is a massive amount but it will probably help when you are buying a pint of Lager with your cheque book :D

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Oh really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

However a bit of tightening up on ur Engerlish(1 8O ) might help. (your) not you are opinions (or maybe I am :lol: )

8. Q: Am I crazy, I wanna be a Para Officer?

A: Yes.

9. No, just super wacky. You will get lots of negative comments here because (obviously) the larger percentage are non Para. Just do whatever makes you feel happy (I'm into naked nettle whipping meself).

10. The Parachute Regiment is certainly controversial for all sorts of reasons, it also inspires strong opinions in many people, most of which are probably ill-informed, and range from the view of Paras as being winged gods of war, to devils incarnate. The truth, lies somewhere inbetween.
    Whichever way you jump, (no pun intended) if you have your heart set on some solid infantry soldiering, and if they'll have you, I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Oh, Greenronnie, did you pick up the nettle habit from Jimmy ***, who used to rub them on his "moving parts" just prior to the main event?

11. If you are going to be a soldier be a real one none of this remf stuff .