Am I being too picky?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by LanceBombardEars, Nov 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Earlier this year a seventeen year old lad was murdered in the town where I live. Immediately afterwards there was the usual mass out pourings of grief and facebook entries that seem to be the norm today.

Anyway, I was in town today and happened to walk past the War Memorial. I hadn't stayed to look at the wreaths after yesterday mornings service as I had a commitment elsewhere, so I stopped to look today. Amongst all the wreaths from different organisations and units that you would expect, was a proper poppy wreath with a photo of this lad on and a card commemorating him. (I believe it was laid there by his family, so I'm probably going to hell)

My question is, am I being over sensitive by saying that this wreath has no place on a War Memorial on Remembrance Sunday?
    THe death of any 17 year old, in whatever circumstances is a tragedy, but Remembrance Sunday is for the country to remember those who have fallen in battle.
    The lad concerned apparently had an unfulfilled ambition to join the army, but he hadn't done so, and therefore IMHO a commemoration of him doesn't belong next to the wreaths remembering those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

If you want to have a national day to remember murder victims, then go for it, but Remembrance Sunday is there for a reason.

So, what does everyone else think?
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If the lad was a solja, you've got no right to get involved. It was his day too.
  3. I suspect Biped was being a little bit ironic with his use of the Chavvish term 'solja'.

How did you guess he was a chav? I carefully left it out of the original post.
  4. Go back, remove the offending item, black nasty half a housebrick to it and hoy it through his parents front window.
    That'll learn 'em!
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well he got knifed innit (or is that izzit?!?). At very worst, he was mummy's little solja.

Either way, it's not right, but I wouldn't dare tell his family.
  6. On the upside,one less chav.Result.
  7. Maybe it,s the nearest thing to "Sacredness" that they understand or accept.
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I like this idea, subtle yet it gets the message accross. The use of black and nasty adds a slightly artistic presence to the projectile as well.

9. I remember quite recently an Orange parade taking over the local war memorial to preach their usual hate message and I was threatened with arrest by the local plod because I politely objected
  10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Unless he was a member of the Armed Forces then it is completely inappropriate and should be removed.

However it should be remembered that his parents or whoever left the wreath meant no disrespect

I suggest that the best course of action is to ask the council to remove it and return it to the family with an explanation of why it is inappropriate and why they have inadvertently given offense and what might be more appropriate for them to do.

Probably flowers outside his school or dole office or YOI.
  11. Mr D - No I didn't, it was some Eastern European types, which had the local outrage bus revving hard.
  12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

You're not the brightest of fellows, are you?!
  13. Quick update. Front page of the local free paper 'Family anger over wreath'.
    The lads family have been left suitably outraged over the Council's audacity to remove the wreath commemorating their lickle angel after complaints from the military that its presence was inappropriate. Apparently they had also asked if the mayor would mention the lad during the service and were quite rightly fcuked off at the high port.

Apparently none of us care about him and he had so wanted to join the army and anyway his late grandad served in the Merchant Navy and,'re just all so mean and uncaring.

I'm quite impressed really, not at the outrage, that was expected. I'm impressed because previously I thought my local council were all a bunch of half wits!

14. Fook the chav cnut, if he did anything in life that warranted him being included on a cenotaph memorial, then fair dues, but given he was a chav scum fook, then boll-ocks to them.

Did he die in action?

Did he do anything for the country as a whole?

If the answers are both no, then why the fook should he be honoured alongside real men who did?

Why was he murdered? was it drug related? ie drive by scum shot?

Bollo-cks, get your own roadside wreath, and dont play on real men who deserve the accolade. scum fook chav.
  15. Eloquently put Gren.
    My thoughts exactly.