Am I being scammed?

I would suggest that you re-set your password on trainline.com, infact any accounts that hold your details.

I bank with Santander, and I can set a text alert for money in/out above a given level, very useful.

A.N.Other

War Hero
Also check for spelling mistakes: sure sign of a scam.
Check the source email address for spelling mistakes too. There's a lot of spoofing where the bad guys replace characters in the address with visually similar ones to try and fool you. If you give them a quick glance they loog the same.

me@nationalbank.com

and

me@nationa1bank.com

This a more obvious one by replacing the "l" with a "1". Still easy to overlook.

Also, always click on the sender's name at the top of the email. Some mail clients show an alias instead of the email address. I've had a few from "HSBC Admin" but on clicking the email address comes up as "t.w.a.t@scamemail.com"

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Btw, i forgot to add, if those receipts that you are being sent happen to be from your local area (spoons) then it that is curious. Cancel the card, report it lost / stolen or whatever and move on like you have, get a bank with a non-farcical customer care department, preferably in an english speaking part of the world.

Monzo is pretty decent, simple, no fuss and all online, no branches but easy to get hold of when needed. Worth considering but if your a coffin dodger then i suppose the value of being able to walk into a branch is worth its weight in gold.

First Direct always gets excellent reviews. Call Centres in UK and top scores in every customer survey.

I stick with the bank that pays my pension, but First Direct would be my choice if I moved.

BlipDriver

War Hero
From the Wetherspoon website:
"For the QR code app, a receipt for each order will be sent to the e-mail address entered by the customer at the point of payment."

So Wetherspoon can send an email to an unconfirmed email address, and if the wrong address is entered then someone else will get the email.

anglo

LE
The email receipt from Wetherspoons came from orders@jdwetherspoon.co.uk which looks kosha to me.

Which is my original point. I’m fully aware that scammers use their own and probably disposable email addresses which any decent email account (ie Yahoo which I’ve used since about 1995) will just lob into the trash bin and I will never see them. All good.

If the dodgy emails do somehow get through, and if I do have any suspicions I will then always carefully check the senders email address to see if it’s real.

These email receipts that I referred to in my OP are different, in that they appear to be genuine in every way which means my card appears to have been skimmed .

I do have a local shop/convenience store that is a bit iffy and I’ve now resorted to only using cash there. However my problem is that I’m now in a catch 22 situation in that I cannot cancel my card as lost and stolen because they’ve blocked my phone banking service and the online facility (as I’ve explained upthread) is unusable, at least by me, because I’m only human.

I think the best bet is that I drain the account from a cashpoint so there is nothing left in there for them to steal, and then open an online account.

The curious thing is that whoever is actually using the card is only nicking £3 or £4 at a time, and then only at a intervals a month apart.
The spoons email address doesn't exist

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

orders@jdwetherspoon.co.uk (orders@jdwetherspoon.co.uk)
The email address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's email address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your email admin.

anglo

LE
Could it be just that it doesnt accept e mails?
Then you normally get

Thanks for getting in touch. Please note this email address is not active, so if you do want to contact us, let us point you in the right direction:
Or some such reply
EDIT, On further look up,

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: BPEX03.jdwint.local

orders@jdwetherspoon.co.uk
Remote Server returned '550 5.1.10 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipientNotFound; Recipient not found by SMTP address lookup'

I don’t think that Trainline would allow just anyone (ie me) to access past journey records. I’m also reluctant to dig deeper into the email to check for more information.

But thanks anyway.

Do you have an account with Trainline? After all, they are sending you emails.
If you’ve never set up an account with them, go to the Trainline website and enter your email but click the ‘forgot my password’.
If you get a reply, then someone has set up an account with your email.
Reset your (their) password so you can access the account. Then you can see the journey history.

If in doubt, cancel card and get new sent.

BTW - HSBC are a right pain in the arse. I am struggling to close down a credit card with them - and it has zero balance! They seem to put a lot of obstacles in the way.

I find Halifax extremely good for banking, CCs etc.

And, lastly, PM the card details, expiry date, code on back of card, your full name, and pin, and I’ll run a comprehensive check to see what’s going on…

Herman Munster

Old-Salt
just out of interest, I did...
:> ping jdwetherspoon.co.uk
PING jdwetherspoon.co.uk (165.160.13.20) 56(84) bytes of data.
and then geo ip info gives :
:> curl 165.160.13.20 IP Address Details - IPInfo.io
{
"ip": "165.160.13.20",
"city": "Washington",
"region": "Washington, D.C.",
"country": "US",
"loc": "38.8951,-77.0364",
"org": "AS19574 Corporation Service Company",
"postal": "20004",
"timezone": "America/New_York",
"readme": "Get the full potential of IPinfo - IPInfo.io"
}

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
I know what the problem is.
Awol has gone and got himself very drunk on cheap Calvados, smuggled from France after the invasion.

He has then staggered onto a train ,found himself in Wetherspoons and has had an under the table blow job by a 2 Bob hooker who has skimmed his wallet while attempting to find his tiny winky.

Awol has passed out in a puddle of piss after getting home and collapsing after his first sexual encounter for 5 years.

Awol

LE
I know what the problem is.
Awol has gone and got himself very drunk on cheap Calvados, smuggled from France after the invasion.

He has then staggered onto a train ,found himself in Wetherspoons and has had an under the table blow job by a 2 Bob hooker who has skimmed his wallet while attempting to find his tiny winky.

Awol has passed out in a puddle of piss after getting home and collapsing after his first sexual encounter for 5 years.
You lying git.

It’s been three years, not five.

Awol

LE
just out of interest, I did...
:> ping jdwetherspoon.co.uk
PING jdwetherspoon.co.uk (165.160.13.20) 56(84) bytes of data.
and then geo ip info gives :
:> curl 165.160.13.20 IP Address Details - IPInfo.io
{
"ip": "165.160.13.20",
"city": "Washington",
"region": "Washington, D.C.",
"country": "US",
"loc": "38.8951,-77.0364",
"org": "AS19574 Corporation Service Company",
"postal": "20004",
"timezone": "America/New_York",
"readme": "Get the full potential of IPinfo - IPInfo.io"
}
Is that good, or bad?

bentobox

War Hero
When I get an iffy looking email purporting to be from a legit organisation, I always try and expand the sender's details to see the actual email address the email has come from. For example, the sender/header might be shown as 'Royal Mail' but expanding the details won't show me 'www.royalmail.com', it'll show something more suspicious like 'adefemi@zzxfpr.scammers.net' etc. Scammers rely on email recipients accepting emails at face value without looking too closely, so always dig a bit deeper and see what shows up. But don't open any links in the email body, obviously.
Oh, and I can thoroughly recommend First Direct as an alternative bank with negotiable levels of security (voice security being the main one), UK-based personnel and - from personal experience - a watchful eye on your account for unusual activity.
First Direct are a subset of HSBC, so maybe it would be easier to transfer than going to a new third party bank?

bentobox

War Hero
Do you have an account with Trainline? After all, they are sending you emails.
If you’ve never set up an account with them, go to the Trainline website and enter your email but click the ‘forgot my password’.
If you get a reply, then someone has set up an account with your email.
Reset your (their) password so you can access the account. Then you can see the journey history.

If in doubt, cancel card and get new sent.

BTW - HSBC are a right pain in the arse. I am struggling to close down a credit card with them - and it has zero balance! They seem to put a lot of obstacles in the way.

I find Halifax extremely good for banking, CCs etc.

And, lastly, PM the card details, expiry date, code on back of card, your full name, and pin, and I’ll run a comprehensive check to see what’s going on…
Could you do a check on my account as well? if you're not too busy.

If you had received emails - receipts for purchases made using you bank account it a bit of a stretch that the person may have cloned your card would also know or give your email at the point of purchase

Archie

Awol

LE
If you had received emails - receipts for purchases made using you bank account it a bit of a stretch that the person may have cloned your card would also know or give your email at the point of purchase

Archie
I know.

I’m guessing that it’s either a normal email scam where someone has picked up my email address from something I have registered with in the past 28 years of using that particular email address in the hope that I click on something within the email, or, it’s more serious and someone is spending my money, hence the email receipts.

I obviously hope it’s the former.

anglo

LE
I know.

I’m guessing that it’s either a normal email scam where someone has picked up my email address from something I have registered with in the past 28 years of using that particular email address in the hope that I click on something within the email, or, it’s more serious and someone is spending my money, hence the email receipts.

I obviously hope it’s the former.
I think you'll find it's a scam,

Check out if you have been pwned

Have I Been Pwned? is a website that allows Internet users to check whether their personal data has been compromised by data breaches. The service collects and analyzes hundreds of database dumps and pastes containing information about billions of leaked accounts, and allows users to search for their own information by entering their username or email address. Users can also sign up to be notified if their email address appears in future dumps. The site has been widely touted as a valuable resource for Internet users wishing to protect their own security and privacy. Have I Been Pwned? was created by security expert Troy Hunt on 4 December 2013.

Have i Been Pwned

Archie