Am I being a bit of a Pikey?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by devilish, Nov 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My kids have been pestering me to get a Sky+ box for this upcoming Christmas due to them missing some of their favourite films/programmes.

Now I'm currently on Sky's highest package, full sports/films etc and I also have my broadband and phone package with them.

Would I be being a bit pikey-like if I were to call Sky with the notion of getting rid of some of my current package but drop the idea that a free Sky + box would swing it for me to keep the current package? I know it's £150 for a Sky+ box but there is a recession on and if I can get it for free then happy days. :D

Let the flak begin....

2. This can often work, but.....

You need to say you are thinking of leaving, and they will put you through to the "retain the customer or else department"......

they will make lots of offers to keep you with Sky, say something along the lines of "I like the look of the Sky + Box" - You will then find that the price drops to around the £75.00 + installation mark, then push Sky with "well I have seen the FREEVIEW BOXES that come with a built in Hard Disk recorder" and this should push the price down again.

Now I say should! Some people have managed to get Sky to give them the box and install it for ZERO, but others have just been told "ok you can leave then" so you take your chance and its all up to you.

Another method, is get on eBay and purchase a SKY+ box, + a set of leads and fit it yourself, then all you do is phone up Sky and they will transfer your card to SKY+.

3. If you can con one of your mates into joining Sky they’ll give you a free Sky+ box.

Or you could try and bluff them.
    Phone up saying Virgin have offered you a free Virgin+ box if you change over to them. Sit back and wait for Sky to panic and offer you a free box or at least a discount on your current bill.
    Everyone is desperate to keep their customers in this current climate :wink:

4. My thoughts exactly, when I left virgin a couple of years ago they promised me the earth so I may try that route.

Edited to add, thanks WW

5. If you are out of contract, call them and tell them you want to cancel. They will put you through to customer retention. They are the people that can actually make some decent offers.

Tell them you are moving to Virgin. Don't settle for anything less than a free Sky + HD and free installation. You'll have to sign up for another 12 months, but the deal is out there for a bit of chutzpah!

Let us know how you get on.

6. I'm out of contract by about a year, Christ a Sky + HD would be grand, I'd even pay the installation!

7. i'm with sky with a normal box.Got a used sky+ box of my sister.Went onto e bay and got the leads and a new quad LNB.Fitted it all myself.Then phoned sky to get them to activate my card.All it cost me was the price of the quad LNB and cable.Job done.

8. don'tcha hate smart arses :wink:

9. Cost of quad LNB and cable.....£20

10. Never had Sky, never took a notion of having Sky and if the kids begged me for Sky I still wouldn't get it. TVs crap as it is without paying more for it. I'd happily have no TV in the house. Hope this helps. :wink:

11. they got skoy pluzz down in kernow? well I never. :wink:

12. Thanks for that Panda, :wink: now if anyone who lives in the real world has anything to add I'd be more than grateful.

13. I got Sky+ gratis by doing the old "I'm off to virgin" routine, so I can tell you it works. My grandad went with the "There's never anything on the fcking telly these days" routine and got the Sky+ upgrade plus Sport and Movies for £9 a month for 6 months. Customer retention is a great thing.

14. Get your facts right before you call them though....they will know roughly what Virgin are offering. The Virgin version of Sky + (Virgin +) comes with free HD, so make sure you drop that in. I got my HD box and free installation, but you have got to push for it. Be prepared to settle for less if they call your bluff, or actually leave and look for something else. Freesat has it's advantages, it being subscription free for a start.