Am I an unreasonable parent ?

I made the mistake last year of going with eldest daughter to see an internet land band from America at a venue in Glasgow. I must have been the eldest male there ( though there were loads of clones of the video store bloke in the simpsons) you could have set a claymore off and not hit a “ normal “ human.
Thank god I didn’t let her go with her schoolmates and no adult.
What’s worse is I’m going to see some other gits with her this spring. I’m going to have to look them up on utube so I can fake enthusiasm.

I would actually demand to meet the boy and his parents to see what is going on and get the police/school involved as a safeguarding issue - have you read about county lines? if not then do so- better safe than sorry - this is very serious issue for parents from the home counties

if you don't know your daughter's friends how do you know they can be trusted to look after her if she has one to many or gets targetted by a dodgy bloke?

At least she is staying in a hotel. When I was 16-17 until I was 23, I would regularly travel the country for Punk gigs, and doss out a the station or wherever, cos we didn't have the £££ for a B&B.

She is under peer pressure to attend this gig, and will be thought of as a let-down among her mates if she lets them down. If you do not let her go, she will resent you for a long time, being treated like a kid, while her mates are free to attend.

At least she is not going to some RnB, club, drum n bass club, a blues party in Brixton,
First time out of camp when I was at 7sigs, I was dossing in the train station after a gig in Bielefeld a boxhead tried to spoon me and move my hand onto his bits, I wasn't as asleep or as drunk as he thought. I jumped to my feet and had just started giving him some Doctor Martin's therapy when 8 cops with guns burst into the waiting area. I immediately shouted "He Fell". After they had said "Englander" (for once I didn't argue), I got a big lecture about train stations not being safe at night in Germany and that the whole area was protected by cameras, but they did show me and my mate who had only woken up when I shouted "he fell", a waiting room on one of the platforms that you needed a ticket to get to and on the platform for our train.

This was something that played on my mind , the daughter said the lad organising it is loaded and is paying for everything ,suspicious, she`s now calmed down after being told she`s not going.
We’re these some the same gents that let her take the fall for the train ticket?
She will be ok, just be straightforward as to why you are leery about her going to London and let it sink in. Concerts are rife with drugs and you don’t want her to be roofied and raped etc.

I am suspicious of the lad as well, and his intentions. No offense Capt D but it sounds like he is showing off his money to get laid.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
From my experience, there are two sorts of rich friends who will pay for a trip
1. posh or spoilt kid, mummy and daddy either well off but dim, or parents the head of a local criminal empire and indulge their children, the trouble with that sort is they lack responsibility and common sense, when it all goes tits up they ring for mummy and daddy to collect them in the Range Rover, and absolve themselves of responsibility for the others
( seen it happen twice, results not pleasant)
2. the Second sort and most prevalent, is a small time drug dealer, who will use the trip to collect stock from his County lines supplier directly and make a bigger profit
very nasty situations, that get out of hand and often involve people with small hard eyes, and sharp objects, your child could end up as collateral or ransom in the deal

This Fella is one you are likely to meet in the big smoke , friendly and polite, easy to talk to and laid back
but a very very nasty bit of work, and once in his web your life is ruined
he likes to make new friends outside the big City and visit, you wont shake him off, nor his extensive network of friends

Attachments

First time out of camp when I was at 7sigs, I was dossing in the train station after a gig in Bielefeld a boxhead tried to spoon me and move my hand onto his bits, I wasn't as asleep or as drunk as he thought. I jumped to my feet and had just started giving him some Doctor Martin's therapy when 8 cops with guns burst into the waiting area. I immediately shouted "He Fell". After they had said "Englander" (for once I didn't argue), I got a big lecture about train stations not being safe at night in Germany and that the whole area was protected by cameras, but they did show me and my mate who had only woken up when I shouted "he fell", a waiting room on one of the platforms that you needed a ticket to get to and on the platform for our train.
Guid lad.
Intae 'im, intae 'im, intae 'im.

Guid lad.
Intae 'im, intae 'im, intae 'im.
The cops were having a laugh among themselves about it, they were probably quite pleased I had subdued the perve so thoroughly.

From my experience, there are two sorts of rich friends who will pay for a trip
1. posh or spoilt kid, mummy and daddy either well off but dim, or parents the head of a local criminal empire and indulge their children, the trouble with that sort is they lack responsibility and common sense, when it all goes tits up they ring for mummy and daddy to collect them in the Range Rover, and absolve themselves of responsibility for the others
( seen it happen twice, results not pleasant)
2. the Second sort and most prevalent, is a small time drug dealer, who will use the trip to collect stock from his County lines supplier directly and make a bigger profit
very nasty situations, that get out of hand and often involve people with small hard eyes, and sharp objects, your child could end up as collateral or ransom in the deal

This Fella is one you are likely to meet in the big smoke , friendly and polite, easy to talk to and laid back
but a very very nasty bit of work, and once in his web your life is ruined
he likes to make new friends outside the big City and visit, you wont shake him off, nor his extensive network of friends
One of the benefits of living in a rural area is the type in your pic stick out like a sore thumb and get watched very closely.

Ok folks here is my question.

What 16 year old has that kind of money to get down and back, go to a concert and rent a hotel room?? I was lucky if I had money for gas and could take the gf to a movie and ice cream.
Maybe they have saved up for it. Same as I used to at that age.

I would actually demand to meet the boy and his parents to see what is going on and get the police/school involved as a safeguarding issue - have you read about county lines? if not then do so- better safe than sorry - this is very serious issue for parents from the home counties
A police/school issue because someone who can legally have sex/join the army/get married/Pays NI wants to go to London for the night?

Have a word with yourself.

I am suspicious of the lad as well, and his intentions. No offense Capt D but it sounds like he is showing off his money to get laid.
A normal male, then?

A police/school issue because someone who can legally have sex/join the army/get married/Pays NI wants to go to London for the night?

While you folks may say 16 is the age of majority it really is not. She lives in his house and she does not pay her bills. Welcome to she is not an independent adult, capable of making rational decisions all the time. Capt D is correct in his assessment and he knows her better than we do.

I made the mistake last year of going with eldest daughter to see an internet land band from America at a venue in Glasgow. I must have been the eldest male there ( though there were loads of clones of the video store bloke in the simpsons) you could have set a claymore off and not hit a “ normal “ human.
Thank god I didn’t let her go with her schoolmates and no adult.
What’s worse is I’m going to see some other gits with her this spring. I’m going to have to look them up on utube so I can fake enthusiasm.
The mistake you are making is thinking your daughter needs to worry about the non “normal” alternative types. Shit piercings, Purple hair tattoos and bonk clobber

A more harmless, sensitive bunch you’d struggle to find

"1989 Children Act This Act was a landmark law, redefining the relationship between parent and child. It changed the previous emphasis from one of duty and rights of the parent to one of responsibilities. The Act uses the concept of ‘parental responsibility’ to describe the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority parents have for their child. In this Act, a child is a person under the age of 18. "

A bit wishy washy but its a Gov doc A parents’ guide to the law

This was something that played on my mind , the daughter said the lad organising it is loaded and is paying for everything ,suspicious, she`s now calmed down after being told she`s not going.
Wise choice. I'm 6ft4 big bugger in my 40s and I'm still very vigilant in Lahndun. I hate it

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D The NAAFI Bar 35
Blogg The NAAFI Bar 387
JoeyDeacon The NAAFI Bar 47