Am I alone in thinking John Lennon was an over-rated, hypocritical, adulterous twat?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by TamH70, Jul 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Or was he really as good as his admirers claim he is, i.e. the new messiah sadly cut down in his prime?
    I am not really sure what to make of him. A man who says "imagine no possessions"
    really should not have more money than Midas, more homes than Barratts and more fricking cars than Evans Halshaw.

Tam

2. You're not alone - what a kunt!

3. At least he died in his prime, unlike my best mates Bono and Sting.

4. He had talent but he didn't play well with others after Yoko came on the scene. Paul particularly was not a fan of Yoko and was pissed off when John started dragging her to the sessions for Let It Be (the album) After the break up of the Beatles he (Lennon) had some good tunes, but not with Yoko.

5. Not only that, the cnut should be remembered as the forerunner of twats like Bono who live like kings while telling everyone else to kick in and help supply tin-pot African dictators with new mercs and ammo re-sups.

6. While I never liked Lennon or his Music, I wish Hinckleys aim was off enough to slot Yoko.

The world would have been better off. I was listening to a football game when Howard Cosell broke in to announce the news.

7. In the building outside which he was shot, this working-class hero had two apartments. One to live in, one to keep his and his missus' fur coats in climate-controlled conditions. Can't really stand his music either. Whilst Lennon was drivelling his spiritual/lefty cak, the Stones were singing about alcohol and naked women, which was much preferable.

He was essentially a particularly wanky middle-class art student who never grew up.

8. Oh, and don't forget he was a scouser as well.........

9. He wasn't really. Brought up by his Aunt and Uncle in Woolton, a 'nice' suburb that Scousers only visited to steal from. He played up the Scouse thing later for PR purposes.

10. Not wishing to sound too pedantic but, who the hell is Hinckley? Mark Chapman shot Lennon, did Hinckley shoot some one else? I'm not 'up' on my assassins unfortunately.

11. Ronald Reagan as I recall.

12. John Lennon gave the IRA money. I believe that makes him a cunt, irrespective of what else he has done.

13. "But if you want money for minds that hate,
    I'm tellin' you brother you'll have to wait"

Evidently they didn't have to wait too long.

14. Lennon never gave money to the IRA and he never asked people to donate to Third World causes. He campaigned for peace and particularly for an end to the Vietnam war. His best writing was with McCartney or, as already stated, without Yoko Ono who, if she was his muse, wasn't a particularly good one. He never preached poverty and he never let his money distance himself from his fellow man. There are well documented incidences where he has helped and befriended people who have strayed into his life and onto his property and he generally treated people with respect, hence stopping to sign Mark Chapman's album cover.
    It seems that if you're rich and famous you're a fair target for any jealous twat to pop up and either have a pop figuratively or literally. Bono and Geldoff live in luxury but still exhort you to part with your cash, Lennon generally dug far deeper into his own pockets than either of those two twats ever did.

Oh, and he loved my Auntie Nora's treacle toffee which his Aunt used to buy for him from her sweet shop.

15. He and his mucker Macka were rip off artists copying soul and R&B from over the pond - it was because they were crap musicians that couldn't mimic the songs they created their own sound. Hype followed hype and thee group became as big as the media wanted them.