Am I allowed to join the Army if I don't drink alcohol?

Wah shields up. You can drink if you wish or abstain if that suits or even a mixture. Wah shields down

Am I allowed to join the Army if I don't drink alcohol, or is this a prerequisite? What are the consequences?
Sobriety.

You don't want to risk that

Am I allowed to join the Army if I don't drink alcohol, or is this a prerequisite? What are the consequences?
Mate you would be welcome in every unit. Mainly because no one would have to look very far for a designated driver.

Please disregard the “banter” above.

You are of course allowed to join as a non-drinker. I’ve known several. Be aware that @stacker1’s post may well apply though!!

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
That seems to be a bit of a strange question to ask, but of course you can join as a non-drinker. When I joined the British Army, at the beginning of 1966, the "tradition" of hard drinking was much more widespread. This was a time when yellow handbags were stashed in every available corner out on scheme and our unit OR's club even had it's own LWB Landie for resup. But, strangely, I never had any problems whatsoever with being a teetotaller. Everyone just accepted it, so I imagine you'll have no difficulties. Best of luck.

MsG

Yes of course. It's no longer the army of the 80's and 90's where you were generally an alcoholic that smoked. Nowadays many of the young lads cant afford to drink because they've bought a flash car that they cant afford so live on ramen noodles for the month. Or they dont want to spoil their pretty boy gym bods.
In the 80s and 90s I drank enough to kill a civvy. Nowadays I rarely touch the ale and have plenty teetotal serving friends.
Just dont be a social leper though and you'll be fine.

The_Duke

LE
MOD Comment:

Recruiting forum rules apply here. If your post isn’t accurate, relevant and helpful it doesn’t belong here. Anecdotes of drunken BAOR days belong in the NAAFI.

MOD Comment:

Recruiting forum rules apply here. If your post isn’t accurate, relevant and helpful it doesn’t belong here. Anecdotes of drunken BAOR days belong in the NAAFI.

To be fair it was a stupid question and that's bearing in mind today I have been volunteering at a brain injury rehab center.

To be fair it was a stupid question and that's bearing in mind today I have been volunteering at a brain injury rehab center.
Many people only have stereotypes/half-truths/tales from BAOR warriors to go on before they join unfortunately; it’s a fair question to ask if they’re unsure.

Yes you can,I went teetotal 11 years into my 22+.

The only drawback is pissheads telling you the same joke every 10 minutes but, the advantage is, you can borrow lots of money from them and, in the morning they remember that money changed hands, you then convince them that it was you doing the lending and they owe you X amount of dosh, double whammy! ;-)

Dinner nights tend to get reallly boring at about 2200 when everyone else is pissed and I was just waiting for whatever guest was there to leave so that I could thin out all the seniors that were not drinking that day, due to work et al. Then I would leave, early.