Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Always look on the bright side of life

After reading and commenting on 'Redshift' post about how terrible life is I reflected on my own and my current shit storm that's going on, your personal situation is only as bad as you perceive it to be, for example there are members on this site that have suffered immensely and they appear to be content with their lot in life. I consider myself lucky because my wife and I can improvise and adapt, we've both been through the leaner times (student life) and although what happened isn't welcome it's an opportunity to change and take a different direction.

This is the post
Personally I am on the brink of losing my company so currently liquidating assets so the company has no debt and if can be closed without penalty for others, in short my cushy lifestyle is going down the toilet. So over a shitty christmas SWMBO and I had a long discussion (well many) and we are off to far off lands to carry out mission/aid work we have some properties here (a small office building and our home) so they will be rented plus my pension from the army. All in all I'm looking forward to continue traveling the world only now having the opportunity to fully imerse our selves into new cultures, so one door closes and off you go on a new adventure.
Should this be a new thread?
Yes and now it is......Oh bugger

After reading and commenting on 'Redshift' post about how terrible life is I reflected on my own and my current shit storm that's going on, your personal situation is only as bad as you perceive it to be, for example there are members on this site that have suffered immensely and they appear to be content with their lot in life. I consider myself lucky because my wife and I can improvise and adapt, we've both been through the leaner times (student life) and although what happened isn't welcome it's an opportunity to change and take a different direction.

This is the post
Personally I am on the brink of losing my company so currently liquidating assets so the company has no debt and if can be closed without penalty for others, in short my cushy lifestyle is going down the toilet. So over a shitty christmas SWMBO and I had a long discussion (well many) and we are off to far off lands to carry out mission/aid work we have some properties here (a small office building and our home) so they will be rented plus my pension from the army. All in all I'm looking forward to continue traveling the world only now having the opportunity to fully imerse our selves into new cultures, so one door closes and off you go on a new adventure.

All the best with whatever happens.
I am constantly amazed at how resilient we are capable of being. Some do find it had to move on from adversity while others are able to put a more positive spin on things and look towards changes with hope and expectation of new adventure.

This is the post

It’s refreshing to see someone not make excuses or lay blame on someone else or run away from it.

Good luck for your future endeavours.

We are generally quite good at this , "let's sort ourselves out" thing

maybe it's the training, being at the hands of "incompetent tossers" , only to find out later in life , we actually become the "incompetent tossers" having to do what the higher ranking "incompetent tossers" instruct us to pass on down the food chain etc etc

As Dinger said, and I totally agree...refreshing to see someone (like myself), who may have failed ( my powder coating business went tits up, through no fault of my own I may add) picked himself up and get on with life

hope you are successful and enjoy whatever life throws at you................enjoy your travels

We are generally quite good at this , "let's sort ourselves out" thing

maybe it's the training, being at the hands of "incompetent tossers" , only to find out later in life , we actually become the "incompetent tossers" having to do what the higher ranking "incompetent tossers" instruct us to pass on down the food chain etc etc

As Dinger said, and I totally agree...refreshing to see someone (like myself), who may have failed ( my powder coating business went tits up, through no fault of my own I may add) picked himself up and get on with life

hope you are successful and enjoy whatever life throws at you................enjoy your travels
Entrepreneurs are a special breed.

Only 3% of the population will start a business (as opposed to a personal services tax dodger or self-employment). 1/3rd will fail within two years. Of the 1% who start a business that survives, less than half will build a business that scales to a point where they can sell it.

@Linview, you should be proud of getting where you did. You’re one of the few.

Sometimes it can take a while for that realization to sink in. (There are other opportunities).

At least indecision did not stop you from executing a plan. Good wishes to you both for an interesting and successful future.

Thing is everyone has something they can do to make money, I took the piss out my missus saying she was a mad cat lady, so she set up a cat sitting service and there seems to be no shortage of mad cat ladys wanting pet sitting services provided by a fellow mad cat lady

So that's a bit of beer money on top of her day jobs

If I hadn't kept making jokes and taking the piss out of her she'd never have done it

Everyone has talents they can monetarise

I wish I had the balls to start a business. I've made prototypes for a product I think would have a huge niche market but not got the guts to do anything with it.

I've dabbled in a few things including managing a property in Croatia and marketing stuff for a few small businesses.

Ultimately though I'm a coward and haven't got the balls you have. Well done says I, and good luck.

@Linview Well done for your efforts and mindset, and also for being ethical in winding up your business affairs.
My company had a 'wobble' about 8 years back due to various issues and it knocked me for six. these all came about very, very suddenly.
It took me days to sort out my head before I could work out a plan of action and build ourselves back up.
It's not a fun place to be, and especially when business owners get so much grief from those who have no idea just how much effort it takes to run one. Not helped these days by a Conservative party that appears to hate small business owners and is gouging us ever more for tax.

Got an idea for a barbecue/pizza oven contraption. Also useful as a standard oven for bread, roasts and so on. Bank it overnight for slow roasting and smoking aubergines and cheeses.

Not a businessman so no idea how to go about it even if I had the time.

I wish I had the balls to start a business. I've made prototypes for a product I think would have a huge niche market but not got the guts to do anything with it.

I've dabbled in a few things including managing a property in Croatia and marketing stuff for a few small businesses.

Ultimately though I'm a coward and haven't got the balls you have. Well done says I, and good luck.
Two of the items that are my go to when on the hill/moor are inv8 and Paramo. Both of them were started up by independent people. The guy who started inov8 was, I believe, originally from Zambia. Don't remember his name, or if he decided to get out after Bob took charge.

The one who started Paramo was an Englishman, can't remember his name either. He did the rounds to Berghaus and other big name companies, no joy. Decided to start up on his own, and the rest as they say, is history.

You obviously, know what your project is. Is there any way you can start in a small way, then gently, gently catchee monkee?