Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Alvis Saladin Armoured car 1/35th scale kit from Black label, Dragon Models.

cheers Tiv, I suspected there was a lot of work to do to bring it up to scratch. I will look out for an aftermarket one to replace it. What a shame there wasn't a canvas cover over it, I could use tissue soaked in pva glue and shape it around the kit one.

another shot of the exhaust silencer box rear surface.
rear hull first dust off c.jpg

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
I keep on trying to find details of that fight for an article, but no luck yet.

As to the Saladin, how about a bit of conversion work and something to make it stand out a bit different? The prototype at least had a 40mm Pipsqueak gun:
1VNnBvc.png
There was also the Saladin R . Saladin with a Fox turret . Only one built . Looked a very mean bit of kit in the only photo I have seen . .
Would make a wonderful scratch kit build .

You can bag a real one if you've a bit of spare wonga lying about...

Rock up at Tesco in that and see how many people tell you to put a mask on!
I can just imagine my neighbors reaction, seeing me parking that on my drive as I shove the VW Beetle project to one side. I'll stick to 1/35th scale, less strain on my wallet.

Moving along with the next paint coat.
option a.jpg

I really like the 2nd from the bottom version, the paint Distribution looks balanced, but the lighter area is shown as H402 green brown, but no sign what the darker shaded area is supposed to be, I guess at desert yellow.
persian gulf version.jpg

the first stage of the desert cam colour.
the ends of the turret smoke bomb discharger barrels appear to have caps on the ends, I wonder if these should be matt black rubber covers.
desert colours b.jpg

desert colours A.jpg

the markings are for B sqn 3RTR operating from Sherjah (north of Dubai) the Persian Gulf 1968. If Dragon have their decals accurate.
front decals.jpg

turret RTR badge.jpg

Boxy

GCM
the first stage of the desert cam colour.
the ends of the turret smoke bomb discharger barrels appear to have caps on the ends, I wonder if these should be matt black rubber covers.
View attachment 538417
View attachment 538418

If they were anything like us, they got sprayed along with everything else but then the paint flaked off showing the black in places since it’s flexible

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There was also another reason for over-spraying rubber, even if it often only happened because it was in the way: the paint stops rubber perishing in the sun.

It was a reason why a lot of rubber pipework on LRDG trucks, for instance, was painted along with the rest of the vehicle.

Worth noting when considering whether to pick out details.

If they were anything like us, they got sprayed along with everything else but then the paint flaked off showing the black in places since it’s flexible
There was also another reason for over-spraying rubber, even if it often only happened because it was in the way: the paint stops rubber perishing in the sun.

It was a reason why a lot of rubber pipework on LRDG trucks, for instance, was painted along with the rest of the vehicle.

Worth noting when considering whether to pick out details.
When these where out in Libya, looks like a canvas cover over the lot. But I’ll go through the books for more photos again.
I’ve just checked all the photos on this thread, there is a photo from @BopBopBop, showing one of 3RTRs also with canvas covers. But these as brown, probably because of a later period.
530F92D9-E7A9-4706-8D2D-A43F05CA1B03.jpeg

Last edited:

tiv

LE
When these where out in Libya, looks like a canvas cover over the lot. But I’ll go through the books for more photos again.
I’ve just checked all the photos on this thread, there is a photo from @BopBopBop, showing one of 3RTRs also with canvas covers. But these as brown, probably because of a later period.
View attachment 538443
You also posted several here

so far I have tried and failed with the two turret crew figures, they were designed to be leaning over the hatches of the Chieftain and they just don't look correctly posed for the Saladin, So they've been RTU'd back to Germany and the Car will be closed down on the tank park in UAE awaiting it's first parade before it goes out on patrol.
finished for now.jpg

I'm pleased now that I went for the improved AF tires, overall they look more rounded and correctly shaped compared to the kit issue one's.
finished for now b.jpg

it will sit and await it's concrete base and glass dome with the others awaiting further work. That Horch in the distance is going to get blown up and shot full of machinegun bullet holes in a NE Europe diorama, needs repainting first and made rusty and smashed up, with Tommies using it for cover from view. I wonder, was that type still in service and seen There after DDay?
decide what I'll do with it later on.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
so far I have tried and failed with the two turret crew figures, they were designed to be leaning over the hatches of the Chieftain and they just don't look correctly posed for the Saladin, So they've been RTU'd back to Germany and the Car will be closed down on the tank park in UAE awaiting it's first parade before it goes out on patrol.
View attachment 539277
I'm pleased now that I went for the improved AF tires, overall they look more rounded and correctly shaped compared to the kit issue one's.
View attachment 539278
it will sit and await it's concrete base and glass dome with the others awaiting further work. That Horch in the distance is going to get blown up and shot full of machinegun bullet holes in a NE Europe diorama, needs repainting first and made rusty and smashed up, with Tommies using it for cover from view. I wonder, was that type still in service and seen There after DDay?
View attachment 539279
As the filthy hun was still using horses at the bitter end I suspect it was.

View attachment 539277
View attachment 539278
View attachment 539279
Your the first bloke I know, who’s got a Tank Park for his bloody models! :slow:

Latest Threads