Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Alvis Saladin Armoured car 1/35th scale kit from Black label, Dragon Models.

the image is a little high on contrast, I was a unit phot when I took this so I didn't understand SLR, Subject luminance Range, but here's a detail from it showing the wishbone unbolted from the spacer ring.
belly plate of hulk cu.jpg

Now we are into strange territory right here, when is a .30 caliber machinegun tripod, not a tripod? when it's Bipod, someone should have told Dragon Models it's only of use with three legs.
tripod with two legs.jpg

It's supposed to go on here, But I'm hoping Rob USER=143524]@robinrocket111[/USER
] will be along to tell me they weren't always carried, so I can leave it off and use the space for something else.
tripod place.jpg

front details on the Saladin, the light clusters either side on the wings, I may have been a bit too soon placing the wing mirrors, they'll probably get knocked off in the salt technique. and the bracket fitted on the left side of the picture that stops the torsion bar from turning. The other side has still to be fitted.
frontal details.jpg

tiv

LE
This is a restored one. The head of the tripod appears to attach to a dummy pintle attached to the Saladin.

Saladin Tripod.jpg

And this shows the dummy pintle the tripod attached to:

Dummy Pintle.jpg

Last edited:
tripod instruction sheet.jpg

thanks for the pictures Rob and tiv, so I'll have to use it then, I did look further up the instruction sheet to see if the front leg of the tripod was fitted on later, but no.
tripod instruction sheet b.jpg

so that's another thing to be added to with a bit of scratch building, along with the hatch interiors

makes me think a gloss green UK based one would look dead smart. But this is just the undercolour that will poke through under the chipped desert colour.
hull gloss green.jpg

turret and hull in dark green
turret and hull dark green c.jpg

turret and hull dark green d.jpg

under the colour cast of the modelling lamp the green looks a bit bluer. The wheels also sprayed green ready for some salt technique.
turret and hull dark green b.jpg

@SPROCKET321 looking into the bipod/tripod problem, it seems all is as it should be. The third leg is much shorter than the other two so as to provide a low level silhouette for the gun with as small a footprint as possible, as shown here

1610216046561.jpeg

it just looks as if they have skimped on the foot on the short leg.

first salt coat over the dark green
first salt.jpg

coat of olive Khaki green over the salt
first od over salt.jpg

when that has dried, the salt dusted off for the first layer effect.
rear hull first dust off.jpg

tiv

LE
@SPROCKET321 looking into the bipod/tripod problem, it seems all is as it should be. The third leg is much shorter than the other two so as to provide a low level silhouette for the gun with as small a footprint as possible, as shown here

View attachment 537749
it just looks as if they have skimped on the foot on the short leg.
To be pedantic it's a bit more than that. The pressing that is the tripod head is not flat but angled fore and aft where the legs attach. There's no hole for the pintle and the front leg is missing as is the attachment point for it and also I suspect the spades on the two feet. Also, the instructions appear to show the tripod the wrong way up.

M2 Browning Tripod.jpg

Latest Threads