Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Alvis Saladin Armoured car 1/35th scale kit from Black label, Dragon Models.

This kit has been in my to do list for a while, being a fan of Black Label (not the Lager, I prefer IPA) I've built their MBT70, and may build the others in their line up.
box top artwork.jpg

open the box and see what we've got
box lid off.jpg

typical of Black label, no crew figures and defiantly no interior detail, it is an exterior closed up model, no detail on the interior side of the hatches even. So as usual, scratch building will form part of this build like it did with the MBT70.
But, staying with the kit for a bit, the instruction sheet is good, the suspension system may be complex, it was on MBT70, But the instructions will I think, guide me through, if I pay attention.
The painting and decal options.
option a.jpg

option British Army.jpg

two options the same.jpg

being the build up to Christmas, the table I work on is soon to see Turkey, sprouts, roast potatoes, you name it, so I'm restricted at this time to small things. Starting with the problem of what to do with the bare shell? block the hatches with crew figures. Just having built the Chieftain Mk V from Tamiya as a Range Hulk, I'll use the crew from that.
Tmiya Chieftain crew figures.jpg

what are they 45 years old? jeez no. yes they are, the driver is a little too cut down for me, so another surplus Tamiya figure held his little hand up to volunteer, he's from the Pink Panther, so he's a little claustrophobic for an Armoured car driver, but he fits the bill.
driver a.jpg

his main drawback, being a Desert Landrover driver, no Larkspur head gear. So I made up a set using Milliput Modelling clay/filler.
pink panther driver with head set a.jpg

The vehicle is likely not to be built this year, or what's left of the dreadfull 2020. For reasons stated above. So I'll treat the rest of the years modelling time, restricted though it is to figure painting. My weakest, though, most aspiring area. So I ordered this, and it arrived this morning.
AK Interactive flesh skin tones box art.jpg

it contains six colours, not including white.
AK Interactive flesh skin tones boxcontents.jpg

they are left to right Base flesh,light flesh, highlight flesh,shadow flesh,dark shadow flesh and redish black,cheekbone glaze.
the back of the box, the use of colours in the order above.
AK Interactive flesh skin tones box rear face.jpg

step one, base flesh
ak base colour added to figures.jpg

using the smallest brushes I have.
ak paints brushes and can bottom.jpg

it contains six colours, not including white.
View attachment 531539
they are left to right Base flesh,light flesh, highlight flesh,shadow flesh,dark shadow flesh and redish black,cheekbone glaze.
the back of the box, the use of colours in the order above.
View attachment 531540
step one, base flesh
View attachment 531541
using the smallest brushes I have.
View attachment 531543
Why do I see those figures as a bit unsettling? Probably because they're so lifelike!

the table I work on is soon to see Turkey, sprouts, roast potatoes, you name it,

Do you have a cover to protect the table? I’m going to use my desk in my study (once I clear a space of paperwork). I don't want go trash the desk and am looking to cover it with something that wont slip and slide, but also wont have to be attached to or mark the desk.

An idea for a diorama might be that photo of the three? Saracens making a last stand in Kuwait City during the 1990 invasion.
Saladins.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
This kit has been in my to do list for a while, being a fan of Black Label (not the Lager, I prefer IPA) I've built their MBT70, and may build the others in their line up.
View attachment 531519
open the box and see what we've got
View attachment 531520
typical of Black label, no crew figures and defiantly no interior detail, it is an exterior closed up model, no detail on the interior side of the hatches even. So as usual, scratch building will form part of this build like it did with the MBT70.
But, staying with the kit for a bit, the instruction sheet is good, the suspension system may be complex, it was on MBT70, But the instructions will I think, guide me through, if I pay attention.
The painting and decal options.
View attachment 531522
View attachment 531524
View attachment 531526
B Squadron 1RTR (see colour schemes) handed their Saladins over to C Squadron (The Legion) 15/19H in May 76, so you can use the same scheme using C Squadron circle decals should you so choose.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
being the build up to Christmas, the table I work on is soon to see Turkey, sprouts, roast potatoes, you name it, so I'm restricted at this time to small things. Starting with the problem of what to do with the bare shell? block the hatches with crew figures. Just having built the Chieftain Mk V from Tamiya as a Range Hulk, I'll use the crew from that.
View attachment 531529
what are they 45 years old? jeez no. yes they are, the driver is a little too cut down for me, so another surplus Tamiya figure held his little hand up to volunteer, he's from the Pink Panther, so he's a little claustrophobic for an Armoured car driver, but he fits the bill.
View attachment 531530
his main drawback, being a Desert Landrover driver, no Larkspur head gear. So I made up a set using Milliput Modelling clay/filler.
View attachment 531532
At least the driver knows he needs to give the GCP a damn good kicking to ensure he doesn't get a false neutral.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Do you have a cover to protect the table? I’m going to use my desk in my study (once I clear a space of paperwork). I don't want go trash the desk and am looking to cover it with something that wont slip and slide, but also wont have to be attached to or mark the desk.
Cutting mat
6242_15133.jpg

An idea for a diorama might be that photo of the three? Saracens making a last stand in Kuwait City during the 1990 invasion.

I keep on trying to find details of that fight for an article, but no luck yet.

As to the Saladin, how about a bit of conversion work and something to make it stand out a bit different? The prototype at least had a 40mm Pipsqueak gun:
1VNnBvc.png

Cutting mat
6242_15133.jpg

I have an A4 size one of those. Now considering I have to get by with these

673FD6FB-372B-4918-8F50-F4F95CA73E2F.jpeg

052422E3-6F34-403B-8ABD-1B78E239BE1D.jpeg

I’m sure that you can agree that things will soon become like a mad woman’s shít. If I ever get around to starting.

look for a simple offcut Of linoleum for your desk then stick your cutting mat on top. that way if you slip off the cutting mat the Lino takes the slice.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have an A4 size one of those. Now considering I have to get by with these

View attachment 531636

View attachment 531637
I’m sure that you can agree that things will soon become like a mad woman’s shít. If I ever get around to starting.
As mentioned lino, you can also get A3 cutting mats, it might be worth contacting this bloke Jon at SHOP He's an ex crab but try not to hold that against him, he might be able to design you some bespoke racks vices etc etc.

Latest Threads