Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternatives to the Military?

Abc173

Clanker
I have been diagnosed with coeliac disease which means my ambitions to join the army have been forced out the window. Fair enough given the circumstance, because if I fell ill I would be a hinderance. It's still a bit gut wrenching (no pun intended) though because you work hard towards a goal and then suddenly your intestines decide that gluten is the devil. I'm trying to sound slightly humorous but it is a bit of a blow. I can't dwell, I just need to accept the cards that have been dealt and crack on even if it is a bit of a spanner in the woodworks. The problem is, I have no idea what I want to move on to do next.

I like the ideas of discipline, and structure, having a bit of organisation in my life, and a bit of meaning and purpose that brings some job satisfaction with it (are some of you laughing at that?).

None of you can pick for me, I get that. Any suggestions wouldn't hurt though! Some food for thought, something that gets the brain ticking away for new ideas and direction. I suppose that's what I felt I instantly lost, a bit of direction, I was going somewhere, and now I'm not.

I did look at the national careers service. Some obvious ones were the Police, Bodyguarding/Close Protection (it was a stand out but it looks very competitive and without military experience I can pretty much forget about hostile environment work), other various security work. I considered the RFA but their roles aren't as varied and don't appeal to me as much.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated folks!

Thanks in advance.

Also, if it helps, my intended path was combat roles such as Infantry and Guardsman. So it's not as easy as 'If I wanted to be an Army medic then be a civvy medic instead' unfortunately.

Last edited:

1andonly

Swinger
Hi! Ever thought of trying to get into the healthcare sector? Paramedic sounds like a great alternative to a career in the military to me..

964ST

War Hero
Try British Antarctic Survey, Cambridge, somewhere on Madingly Road.
or google

oh maybe not! I have just watched the thing!

Abc173

Clanker
Hi! Ever thought of trying to get into the healthcare sector? Paramedic sounds like a great alternative to a career in the military to me..
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good shout. Emergency Services felt like a natural choice tbf but I don't have the qualifications to get into Paramedic Science at university.

cymraeg

War Hero
Try British Antarctic Survey, Cambridge, somewhere on Madingly Road.
or google

oh maybe not! I have just watched the thing!

Mrs used to work for them admin side. Not a bad bunch. They were recruiting for government officers not long ago

964ST

War Hero
Mrs used to work for them admin side. Not a bad bunch. They were recruiting for government officers not long ago
yep, they are looking for peeps, very good bunch, you are working for NERC ( very big budget!)

Last edited:
Unlucky - I've developed a good old bloat as I've got older with certain things that's probably nowhere near proper coeliac, so you have my sincere sympathies.

I'd be looking at a number of things but it might take a fair stretch of low pay and some interesting lifestyle choices for a bit but get on the ladder instructing outdoors sports - climbing, skiing, guiding, windsurfing, diving, etc... - think of all the things the military provide as Adventure Training, there's a good reason they do so, and to be Frank, it's good fun too.

It'll take time and experience but aim for internationally recognised qualifications and you could have a real hoot. Choose a balance of summer & winter sports - also look at the less popular things which can bizarrely make you more employable. We had loads of Alpine ski instructors in my mob so there was always lots of competition get down to the Chalet/Lodge and spend some time there - there were very few Nordic instructors (even fewer with both quals) as it was seen as boring, strenuous and you'd have less time being a piste god stuck on the flat - but those guys (i.e. me) would be requested for the whole season not fighting for a single course.

Won't be quick or easy though, and you'll be very much on your own - however, given that people might have to be spending a lot more time out doors for fitness reasons, well, it might be worth a punt.

Developing people, especially in those environments, is very rewarding. you'll be working physically and mentally and you could end up in some really odd interesting places down the line with some every interesting people.

Just an idea. Hope it works out for you.

1andonly

Swinger
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good shout. Emergency Services felt like a natural choice tbf but I don't have the qualifications to get into Paramedic Science at university.
Well good news is you can do an access course to get into Paramedic Science. As long as you have 4/5 GCSE's at C or above its more than achiveable. Alternatlvely just become an EMT and then do a degree apprenticeship after 2 years of doing EMT. Theres always ways into things, you just have to look! Good luck with the future mate

Abc173

Clanker
Unlucky - I've developed a good old bloat as I've got older with certain things that's probably nowhere near proper coeliac, so you have my sincere sympathies.

I'd be looking at a number of things but it might take a fair stretch of low pay and some interesting lifestyle choices for a bit but get on the ladder instructing outdoors sports - climbing, skiing, guiding, windsurfing, diving, etc... - think of all the things the military provide as Adventure Training, there's a good reason they do so, and to be Frank, it's good fun too.

It'll take time and experience but aim for internationally recognised qualifications and you could have a real hoot. Choose a balance of summer & winter sports - also look at the less popular things which can bizarrely make you more employable. We had loads of Alpine ski instructors in my mob so there was always lots of competition get down to the Chalet/Lodge and spend some time there - there were very few Nordic instructors (even fewer with both quals) as it was seen as boring, strenuous and you'd have less time being a piste god stuck on the flat - but those guys (i.e. me) would be requested for the whole season not fighting for a single course.

Won't be quick or easy though, and you'll be very much on your own - however, given that people might have to be spending a lot more time out doors for fitness reasons, well, it might be worth a punt.

Developing people, especially in those environments, is very rewarding. you'll be working physically and mentally and you could end up in some really odd interesting places down the line with some every interesting people.

Just an idea. Hope it works out for you.
That could be worth the shout! It certainly ticks the box regards to adventure and travel! The downside is the time involved, but time will pass anyway won't it. Thank you!

Abc173

Clanker
Well good news is you can do an access course to get into Paramedic Science. As long as you have 4/5 GCSE's at C or above its more than achiveable. Alternatlvely just become an EMT and then do a degree apprenticeship after 2 years of doing EMT. Theres always ways into things, you just have to look! Good luck with the future mate
I could become a Techie in the Ambulance Service. I have my maths and english. I lack a science though but night school might be optional.

964ST

War Hero
If I had a legitimate child, my advice to their „what can I do?“ question, would be!
Go to fricking school, learn!, get a crappy university qualification!
Then Study „SeaHorses!“

Why!

Where do sea horses reside (nice places)! And who studies them! (Stunning over 32 year old MILFS!) Alledgedly?

Abc173

Clanker
If I had a legitimate child, my advice to their „what can I do?“ question, would be!
Go to fricking school, learn!, get a crappy university qualification!
Then Study „SeaHorses!“

Why!

Where do sea horses reside (nice places)! And who studies them! (Stunning over 32 year old MILFS!) Alledgedly?
I see your message in the sea of god knows what. Retrain. Open doors.

964ST

War Hero
Try and find something that you enjoy, having a career where you are miserable just makes you and your workmates life Bad,

Last edited:

Abc173

Clanker
Try and find something that you enjoy, having a career where you are miserable just makes you and your workmates life Bad,
Couldn't agree more on that. I do have a wee job in retail currently and it's so boring. Repetitive, mundane and those in charge are donkey's.

Latest Threads