Alternative to softie

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Peter_Skellen, Jul 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking for reccomdations on a decent warm jacket as an alternative to the softie. Im after a decent one (Rab/North Face etc) which is pretty lightweight, warm enough for british winter to wear under smock, doesnt have to be green although lumious red or yellow isnt much good!

Anybody have any reccomdations?

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Wheel beat me to it with the Buffalo recommendation but be aware that they work best next to skin. They are warm, brilliant at wicking moisture but if you have a T-shirt or similar on they can easily become a soggy mess.

Buffalos are not really suitable to throw over your kit in the evening as you do with a softy.
  3. can't remember the name of it but Montane do a rather good one.

I have a North Face softie-type inner that came in my coat and its ******* warm as well as fitting inside a NI pack side pouch with room to go.
  4. Buffalo super six shirt. Nothing else to add.
  5. I have a keela belay jacket, which I believe was reviewed on this site. It's nice and warm and light. And also pretty warm when wet.
  6. the best rab jkt you can afford
  7. Seconded, just got one new from Ebay, GBP 80. Super warm, fast drying, far lighter than it has any right to be, has all the features you need and none that you don't. Also awaiting delivery of a pair of HA salopettes @ $37 - $320 cheaper than the Australasian distributor.

Note that the standard Buffalo hood is largely useless, unless you pay through the nose for the Expedition type. Montane's Extreme Smock hood is much better. However, my S6 doesn't have the velcro round the outside of the collar, but you could have it sewn on for little extra cost.
  8. rab neutrino is lightweight packs away to nothing is roasting hot comes in black i got one for the H13 best bit oif kit ever I already own a buffalo and while I do recomend that in terms of heat and compactness you cant beat the neutrino.
  9. I'll second that. 400 n a bit grams, primaloft insulation, can be had new for £40 (mine was) and sod it fitting in a rocket pack, this fits in the NI pack side pocket! Third the price of a buffalo, lighter than pretty much any Snugpak jacket and comes in black.
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

no mention of the chinese fighting jacket? whats wrong with you :)

swanndri shooting jacket - thick merino wool. green and tan