Alternative to Brompton Folding Bike

Fellow ARRSErs,

I'll soon be moving outside of London, and will need to commute in by train, meaning I'll no longer be able to cycle/run in to work from my flat.

There terminal station for the train is still about 4 miles from my work, and rather than go on the underground I'm going to use a bike - but cannot take a normal one on the train with me at the time i'll be commuting in, so i'm going to get folding one.

Does anyone have any experience with alternatives to Bromptons? Although they are lovely bits of machinery, I'm not spending £800+ on one.

I'm looking for no more than £200 second hand, £350 (ish) new. Not too bothered about weight, but would ideally fold down well.

Any recommendations? Any to avoid?

Ta,

B

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Get two cheap bikes - one from house to station then one at the station to work. Mates does that - both £100 second hand.

Get two cheap bikes - one from house to station then one at the station to work. Mates does that - both £100 second hand.
Nah, i'd just have to keep replacing them. My Giant road bike got nicked from outside my office block this week; they'd have no issue thieving it from outside a station in the early hours.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nah, i'd just have to keep replacing them. My Giant road bike got nicked from outside my office block this week; they'd have no issue thieving it from outside a station in the early hours.
Paint them pink.

My 13 year old alternates between using his mountain bike and one of these to get to school 2 miles away. They shift along at around 15 - 17mph and hold a 40 minute charge.

I know you won't use one, but they are fun.

My 13 year old alternates between using his mountain bike and one of these to get to school 2 miles away. They shift along at around 15 - 17mph and hold a 40 minute charge.

I know you won't use one, but they are fun.
My boss commutes on one of them, sans engine. I'd rather not!

Writing from the Netherlands, all train stations have secure bike-parking so I can gloat a bit. Also, travel-expenses can legitimately include the cost of the bike-parking, as well as the train ticket.[Edit: this is illustrating the real practicality of Guns idea, in NL]. Folding bicycles are free to take on public-transport here as well.

The price of Bromptons was a factor in me buying a much cheaper Dahon, rather than flying the flag. Whatever bike you choose I would suggest definitely not going smaller than a 20" wheel size -- anything smaller than that is uncomfortable to ride on any surface that isn't perfectly smooth.

A suit of armour (25mm at least) might be an extra cost for cycling in London of course.

Fellow ARRSErs,

I'll soon be moving outside of London, and will need to commute in by train, meaning I'll no longer be able to cycle/run in to work from my flat.

There terminal station for the train is still about 4 miles from my work, and rather than go on the underground I'm going to use a bike - but cannot take a normal one on the train with me at the time i'll be commuting in, so i'm going to get folding one.

Does anyone have any experience with alternatives to Bromptons? Although they are lovely bits of machinery, I'm not spending £800+ on one.

I'm looking for no more than £200 second hand, £350 (ish) new. Not too bothered about weight, but would ideally fold down well.

Any recommendations? Any to avoid?

Ta,

B
I have a Dawes Kingpin folder that I rebuilt. Brompton is a more expensive copy of this 70's 80's classic. Should find one in reasonable condition needing work. It will need new wheels. I would sell mine but I just know that the moment I do I'll get offered a job in London!

No matter the brand for a folding bike check the lock bolt on the fold. You don't want the bike going in two directions.
Buy the Brompton branded bag though, good bit of kit to store the bike in.

Nothing holds its value like a Brompton and I wish I'd used our Ride To Work scheme to buy one (instead of another mtb) 8 years ago! One of my mates uses a Dahon which he swears by. Not as fashionable (nickable) as a Brompton but it's better specced as standard and got 20" wheels instead of the Brommie's 16" ones, so they ride better on our appalling roads.
I quite liked the look of the Dahon with 7-speed hub gears (D7) which go for between £250-£350 on . Other makes I've looked at are,Tern, Bickerton and Birdy. The latter are as cool (that's nerdy cool :) ) as Brommies but nothing folds up as small as the Brit bike.