Alternative titles for Second Lieutenant

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Linkin, Oct 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I understand that the British Army has replaced the titles "Cornet" and "Ensign" with "Second Lieutenant."

I think, though, that one Regiment of the Household Cavalry still uses "Cornet," and that some Household Guards Regiments still use "Ensign."

Can anybody tell me which units still use "Cornet" or "Ensign" instead of "Second Lieutenant?"

2. HCR are Cornets, Ensign I can't think of any. Maybe the Cav, they are a weird bunch.

In my Corps' we replaced Second Lt with the affectionate term (most fo the time) "Sproggy Officer".

3. :D Baby Rupert. :D

4. Beats me. The Cav are a law unto themselves.

5. Lts & 2Lts in the RHG/D (Blues and Royals) are Cornets. An ensign is a 2Lt/Lt in the Foot Guards. They are referred to on Trooping the Colour as it is often the youngest Ensign who troops the colour!

6. Pretty sure that cornet is used by some of the cavalry. We had a cavalry cadetship at NUOTC - QRIH as I recall, in the early 1980s who insisted on being called a cornet: with that and his side hat he spent a fair time being pursued by the peasantry humming either the thunderbirds theme or the theme from the Wall's ice cream cornetto ads.

7. red arse, rouge derrier, green horn :)

8. "subaltern" and "Mr" spring to mind. Damned if I know about guards or cavalry, they have their own weird names for ranks.

9. One Pip Wonder!

10. FUKWIT ? EEJIT ? :?

11. 'Regimental Orderly Officer'

12. Oi get of that radio.

13. Thank you all for some fascinating answers and also for some amusing signatures. It's interesting to see the nicknames as well as actual titles.

In the U. S. Coast Guard and U. S. Navy, entry-level officers are Ensigns.

In the U. S. Air Force, U. S. Marine Corps, and U. S. Army, they are Second Lieutenants.

Older Air Force NCO's refer to Second Lieutenants as "shavetails," because in early days of ore mining, new mules had their tails shaved. By the time the hair grew back, they were experienced rather than new.

Some military members refer to a new officer as "Butter Bar" because of their single gold bar.

In the U. S. Navy or U. S. Coast Guard, all officers below the rank of Commander (equivalent of Lieutenant Colonel) are called "Mister" when spoken to.

As a courtesy, Lieutenant Commanders may be addressed as "Commander," but they would refer to themselves as "Mister."

14. The ranks of Ensign and Cornet are obsolete - apart from in the Guards and the Household Cavalry. I'm not sure when it changed, but they were re-branded as 2nd Lieutenants in infantry and cavalry regiments certainly before the Great War.

15. 'Sir' is a good start.

You don't have to mean it, but it makes the chap feel better about life.

Trust me, been there .............