Alternative the SA80A1...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't suppose it sprung in mind that when replacing the L1A1 SLR we could have taken something off the shelf which was fairly robust at the time, perhaps the M16A2? I'm sure their are plenty of decent other players available at the time who could have done a tender replacement for the procurement of a 5.56 weapon system, or do we simply like wasting money?

what an original question

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
There's more threads on this subject than rifles in the British Army. We bought it because my dad had shares in BAe and BAe were being bounced into buying RO and my dad was CIGS

for the procurement of a 5.56 weapon system, or do we simply like wasting money?

Do you mean the funding for the 40-odd years we spent researching and developing the weapons family that led to the L85, or have you not actually read a small arms history book?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't suppose it sprung in mind that when replacing the L1A1 SLR we could have taken something off the shelf which was fairly robust at the time, perhaps the M16A2? I'm sure their are plenty of decent other players available at the time who could have done a tender replacement for the procurement of a 5.56 weapon system, or do we simply like wasting money?
Oh look, a thread on this very subject: It's even been made a Sticky

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/best-weapons-optimum-calibres.84454/

Now go away and don't come back until you have finished it

Oh good. Another boring question from another boring twat

Oh dear God and sweet baby Jesus not this again..........
You’re so old you can probably remember the telegrams discussing the replacement for the SMLE with the L1A1.

Seeing as how this thread is about 'that rifle' and it's replacement, is it too early to ask 'that question' about bone threads yet?

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
You’re so old you can probably remember the telegrams discussing the replacement for the SMLE with the L1A1.
A pedant writes: the L1A1 replaced the No.4 which was suppoed to replace the SMLE but never quite managed it. Anyway, things went to the dogs when the old Martini Henry was relegated to Indian service.

Anyway, things went to the dogs when the old Martini Henry was relegated to Indian service.

Pah! The '53, now there was a soldier's rifle, um, musket.

No namby-pamby rolling around behind cover to load; just stand there like a man and bite the end off your cartridge.

Er, anyone need one to keep the local Pathans at bay, now that they're literally just down the road? I've just accidentally acquired two '53s; PH sect1, near mint condition. Probably shoot well in conjunction with a scarlet field service jacket....

Status
Not open for further replies.