Alternate History

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Cpt_Darling, Feb 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All,

Im off on holiday for a few weeks and Im loading up the kindle(anything to stop me from actually having to have a conversation with the missus).

Im looking at getting into my alternate history, historical 'What Ifs'. Can anyone reccomend some good reads along these lines?

2. Well apart from SS-GB, I recently read The Afrika Reich by Guy Saville, which was entertaining.

It's about mercenaries in Africa, the leader being called Burton Cole (named after Sir Richard Francis Burton, the explorer. not the actor) doing a job against the SS.

After Dunkirk, Britain sues for peace with Germany. Africa is carved up between Germany, Britain, Vichey France, and Portugal.
    The Nazis start their racial genocide to Black Africans, with Madagascar becoming the home to all the Jews.
    Set in 1952, Burton is ex-BEF and now a mercenary who is called to do one more job, killing a high profile SS officer who is linked to Burtons past before the war when he was a child.

It looks like it will carry on as well.

It's not a bad read.
  3. Harry Turtledove is your man for that, he's done quite a lot of alternate history books covering the American civil war, WW 1 and WW2. His books are heavily character driven and focus a bit too much on politics, oh, and US of A are always the good guys as per usual but it sounds like what you're looking for.
  4. not sure if it'd be your thing but Tim Powers "Declare" is a good cold war spy thriller which uses real people (kim philby & lawrence of arabia for exmple) along with places, dates and events that are all true but creates a story around these where the cold war is actually a magical battle involving SOE and djinn. rise (and fall) of the soviet union is directly connected to powerful djinn allied to mother russia.

its bonkers but very well written and feels more like a conventional spy thriller than anything else.
  5. Fatherland - Robert Harriss, Europe after the war that Germany won.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. 1000 years of annoying the French. Good book and funny too.
  7. And All The Kings Men,by Gordon Stevens.

Germans invading the UK,and the british resistance,great read with a good twist at the end.
  8. Not bad, picked it up on impulse and glad I did. Turtledove is sometimes good, but the series tend to drag and be a bit predictable.

There's plenty out there in this genre as Google will sho including more than a few webites with reviews of books. Some are well done often and fairly plausible written by historians and/or wargamers, others not worth using as bog paper.

Edit: A start Alternative History Military History Books

List of alternate history fiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  9. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero by Dan Abnett is well worth a look.
  10. Good book that.
  11. Fatherland
    I believe I have it on paperback somewhere.
    Would it be worth putting it up for auction?

12. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

The Foresight War By Anthony Williams
  13. What about factual 'what-ifs' rather than novel types? As in the type where the author takes a single incident and changes one detail of it and gives an opinion on how history would have changed.
  14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

john birmingham, the axis of time trilogy - about a 21st century fleet that gets thrown back in time to the middle of the second world war. not brilliant, but an intriguing premise and no worse than turtledove.

unscrupulous types could find free downloads of birmingham and turtledove here - Designated Targets (The Axis of Time Trilogy, Book 2) free ebook download - but you didnt hear that from me, ok?
  15. Fatherland was good and the HBO movie was as well.

I've read both of Birmingham's series. The 3 parter with a US/NATO/ANZAC task force sent back to Midway. Once you get past the name of the carrier the USS Hilary Clinton and the who the 22nd SAS Sabre Sqn OC is not bad. The new series After America after two books is showing promise. The street fighting in NYC between Nigerian Pitates Jihadists and what's left of the US Army is well done.