Altberg warrior or Lowa Patrol

mdon

Swinger
Hi,

I'm a police firearms officer and our force has recently switched from issuing altberg P3s to Magnums which are rubbish! So I'm going to shell out my own money to buy some decent boots. I've had problems with the P3s as in the steel midsole of both pairs I've had in the last two years has split which caused a clicking sound when walking and I could feel it too.

Anyhow I like the above boots mostly because of the rubber strip around the boot as I'm often kicking clumps of the leather out of my boots (god knows how I manage it). My question is, which boot is best? And is the lowa patrol boot big and clumsy? A guy on my section has the lowa mountain boots in my size (10) and although he swears by them for being comfortable they look massive compared to my P3s, they look like moon boots! Are the patrol boots any smaller?

Cheers all.

I'm surprised you couldn't get this advice from your peers to be honest as most AFO's are boot perverts.

Personally I wear Lowa Combat or Mountain boots in the winter or rainy days and Lowa Urbans for dry, hot days. All are excellent options. The mountain and combat boots, once broken in, will serve you well for ages.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

mdon

Swinger
I'm surprised you couldn't get this advice from your peers to be honest as most AFO's are boot perverts.

Personally I wear Lowa Combat or Mountain boots in the winter or rainy days and Lowa Urbans for dry, hot days. All are excellent options. The mountain and combat boots, once broken in, will serve you well for ages.

There's a couple that are, they love their danner boots but I'm not wanting to spend that much. The rest just used the issued pair, the problem I have with the Magnus is that they are just too wide and are horrible to drive in. The Lowas look the same tbh. Pity there's nowhere to try the Lowas on, I'm just under two hours from the altberg factory, I may take a drive over on my rest days.

My main requirements is comfortable to drive in and comfortable enough for a 12 hour shift which may end up being stood on scene guard for the full shift on occasion.

Cheers for the replies.

mdon

Swinger
Use the search, try the boots on. Lowa are German, need I say much more?

Lowas are German, I hope that isn't a reference to German quality, as in cars etc. That'll mean they are overpriced, rust and breakdown a lot!?

I'm all for try Lowas but since I can't try a pair on due to no one stocking them in west cumbria I'd like to know are they like a barge?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Lowas are German, I hope that isn't a reference to German quality, as in cars etc. That'll mean they are overpriced, rust and breakdown a lot!?

I'm all for try Lowas but since I can't try a pair on due to no one stocking them in west cumbria I'd like to know are they like a barge?
I don't think you know much about German cars. No they aren't like a barge, they're very supportive, excellent quality and trump Altberg by miles, there's loads of other opinions you can find using the search.

Lowa combat GTX need practically no breaking in and have exceptional ankle support, the Lowa mountain are identical but 2 inches shorter. Both have a rubber strip around the midsole-upper joint. Don't go on what they look like, they do not feel particularly bulky once on and are unbelievably comfortable. However, neither the Lowa nor the Altberg are going to be great for toeing and heeling - bottom line, go with Lowa and a pair of trainers.....

mdon

Swinger
I don't think you know much about German cars. No they aren't like a barge, they're very supportive, excellent quality and trump Altberg by miles, there's loads of other opinions you can find using the search.

I know a lot about VAG cars, I've had four. But anyhow, back on topic. Are Lowas generally generous in size? Ie in altberg a I have to take a size ten whereas my scarpa delta hiking boots are 9 1/2. And is the patrol boot any smaller than the mountain gtx other than the 2 inch height?

Cheers for all the replies so far.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I know a lot about VAG cars, I've had four. But anyhow, back on topic. Are Lowas generally generous in size? Ie in altberg a I have to take a size ten whereas my scarpa delta hiking boots are 9 1/2. And is the patrol boot any smaller than the mountain gtx other than the 2 inch height?

Cheers for all the replies so far.
Well It depends on your feet and mine are different to yours. An 8 in Lowa fits me ok, maybe an 8 1/2 would have been better. With Altberg for me likely a full size too small for me. I've the patrol boot and I can't remember but thought them similar? Stick it in the search there'll be old threads. It was discussed.

The Lowa Mountain is identical to the Combat GTX other than the 2 inch height - not sure about the Patrol. Lowa are pretty standard on size, don't come up small or large, maybe a little narrow, particularly if you use thicker insoles.

Last edited:

Sheepay

War Hero
As a bit of a boot pervert . . .

I am absolutely sold on Lowa as the most comfortable boots on the market, out of the box. In particular, the Lowa Combat is an excellent boot, with a high cuff that offers a high level of support. I am one of these little girls who suffers terribly in the 'wrong' boot, and that's why I have no qualms with shelling out for decent footwear. Yes, they are a somewhat bulkier boot, but if you're looking for something that won't give you hotspots when you're on your feet all day, Lowa are the way to go.

Altberg are (generally) a much lighter boot. For this reason I might wear a pair of Sneekers if I'm just mincing about in the office, and I can stretch to knocking out weighted 2-milers in them. Any more than this, though, and I find that the fit starts to give me grief and I end up with some rather horrific blisters on the rear of my ankle. I have experimented with sizings and various footbeds to take up the slack, but nothing works, this is a constant.

There's a couple that are, they love their danner boots but I'm not wanting to spend that much. The rest just used the issued pair, the problem I have with the Magnus is that they are just too wide and are horrible to drive in. The Lowas look the same tbh. Pity there's nowhere to try the Lowas on, I'm just under two hours from the altberg factory, I may take a drive over on my rest days.

My main requirements is comfortable to drive in and comfortable enough for a 12 hour shift which may end up being stood on scene guard for the full shift on occasion.

Cheers for the replies.
Personally I can not rate Danner Stryker II highly enough for a 12 hour shift or for just general comfort and durability and fit for purpose, Lowa mountain GTX are good too.

Unable to comment on Altberg's however the boots already mentioned certainly stand up to the task.

don_ten

Old-Salt
Ok, I realise your plod and have different needs but the boots I have on right now are Aku Pilgrims. The Gortex low version. Essence to cut around in and tab. They also do a version in black but they are the Navy SEAL version with a thin sole. Very nice for driving in too. Check them out at Trekkit in Hereford or online. Better than Sneekers, Warrior Mk2 and every Lowa bit of gash. Cant polish them though.. oh well :)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Personally I can not rate Danner Stryker II highly enough for a 12 hour shift, Lowa mountain GTX are good too.

Unable to comment on Altberg's however the boots already mentioned certainly stand up to the task.
I've Danner Fort Lewis and I think they're really the Rolls Royce of boots. High leg so tend to wear for bad weather conditions and the soles don't slip about like Lowa and Altberg.
Comparing Altberg and Lowa the Lowa has much stronger construction, much better materials and is comfortable from day one. They're 'balanced' well when I'm walking and I've less grief with my hips and knees than even wearing trainers.

I've Danner Fort Lewis and I think they're really the Rolls Royce of boots. High leg so tend to wear for bad weather conditions and the soles don't slip about like Lowa and Altberg.
Comparing Altberg and Lowa the Lowa has much stronger construction, much better materials and is comfortable from day one. They're 'balanced' well when I'm walking and I've less grief with my hips and knees than even wearing trainers.
I agree my Lowa's overall construction are superb, although not the lightest on the market however ankle support along with durability they are the dogs dangles.

I unfortunately no longer own any Danner's, this is due to owning the Lowa's and Haix so the additional expense just isn't justified for my job.

However many of the younger lads at my location are favoured towards Altbergs and the newly issued Haix shouldn't be ignored either.

Latest Threads