Altberg or Lowa? Advice please.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jimlad, Apr 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I m planning on getting a new pair of boots as i dont feel the issues are up to the job. I have whittled down my choices to two boots, the Altberg Defender Micro lite and the Lowa Patrol boot (like mountain boot but no gore tex lining), but i cannot decide between the two and would appriciate some experienced opinions. I've got some arduous exercises coming up soon and i'm gonna need some real tabbing/running machines that dry out fairly quickly. I know both boots have their pros and cons and have read the threads on this board concerning them. My main question is which boot has the best ankle/arch support and which boot is best suited to long tabs/runs. Cheers.

2. I'm sure you realise this anyway, but the only way to be sure is to get the pair that fit you feet best! I found the Lowas slightly too narrow for my feet, and Alt-berg has a brilliant custom facility. Both very good, though in the end I bought a pair of Meindl boots, as that's what my walking boots are. Like slippers...

3. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Got to be Altberg. The after sales service is good too.

4. I started using Lowa Mountain about 3 years ago, and have never looked back. i've got 2 pairs and will never buy another boot. I've tried danner olympic, matterhorns, pro boots and everything issue. I'm with Lowa from now on. But i made my decision on experience, which is really the only way - dont buy a boot because people say its good, buy a boot that fits and is immediately comfortable. Whether it works for you is down to time. Its an expensive business unfortunately, but you only get 1 set of feet.

Boney