Altberg entitlement?

Will there be a problem IF he uses issued kit bought off eBay and used that...

Let's say a pair of boots hes not entitled to?
Had that years ago when we used to buy stuff at DuBora's. Long story short: We kept the detailed receipts so that there was no doubt if the RMP came along that we had legally acquired the items.

I would have thought there was a good clue with the word "Goretex" .

However, I did stand behind someone in Cotswolds that complained to the shop that their very expensive Goretex mountain jacket was not waterproof. The person behind the counter had to explain that if you fall out a boat into water, your goretex jacket wont keep you dry.

One of the Captains from the course mentioned this which I took with a pinch of salt, further questioning his integrity as my unit suggested this isn't actually correct.
I think you might be being a bit unfair questioning his 'integrity' as that implies that he knows different but is lying to you...quite a serious accusation to make about an officer and one which is likely to get the backs up of your entire c-of-c.

You might be better off questioning his accuracy or his knowledge, something which is more likely to be accepted as being par for the course...*

* Certainly was in my case :)

Nice one end of conversation, thread closed!

Cheers guys
That's not how the Force works!

I was perfectly happy with my Haix clogs (they take ankle support to new levels of solidity) until I took them on an OTX last year and they became like mobile swimming pools on first contact with water over two inches deep. When I next traded a pair in with Man at Q and M the replacements were Altbergs and I was led to believe that it was intended that everyone should have one pair of each.

If you're chinned off, however, then goretex socks would be a good alternative.

View attachment 334920

These are the culprits, I swear the mesh parts are not waterproof.

Love the replies mainly the photos keep them coming.

:')
These boots are excellent. They are extremely well made, are well cushioned, and are as waterproof as it’s possible for boots to be. Despite this, many people prefer the Altberg, mainly because they are a more Gucci brand and look better. I suspect this is why you want them, as they’re not actually better in any way. In fact, if you have wide feet the Haix are better.

Out of interest, have you ever worn DMS boots? I can state with authority, soldiers now have no reason to complain about their kit, as anyone who experienced 70/80s issue kit will testify.

Edit. What’s this ‘entitlement’ thing.

Further edit. They’re not meant to be shiny polished.

Last edited:
That'll be the culprit, I'm a sweaty cnut i'll admit that.

Would seal skin socks be a good shout when out in the field, dry socks on when in doss bag?
Personal admin in the field would be a good shout, try it you’ll be shocked at the results.

These boots are excellent. They are extremely well made, are well cushioned, and are as waterproof as it’s possible for boots to be. Despite this, many people prefer the Altberg, mainly because they are a more Gucci brand and look better. I suspect this is why you want them, as they’re not actually better in any way. In fact, if you have wide feet the Haix are better.

Out of interest, have you ever worn DMS boots? I can state with authority, soldiers now have no reason to complain about their kit, as anyone who experienced 70/80s issue kit will testify.

Edit. What’s this ‘entitlement’ thing.

Further edit. They’re not meant to be shiny polished.
DMS!
Wash yer mouth out with carbolic.

Your problem may have been an expectation that they should fit like a glove. Mine fitted like a boot and were lovely - and didn't chafe my shins.

And we had lined combats which provided protection to knees and elbows. Nor did they rip as easily as the late 80s/early 90s horrors.

View attachment 334919 These are waterproof boots. You won't find a leather or fabric booth that is actually 'waterproof'. Looking after your feet is down to good personal admin. Boot dressing, gaiters, MVP socks, spare socks and foot powder all have a part to play, but if you're tabbing through bogs and crossing streams all day, you will get wet feet. Boots with a sewn in MVP liner are OK for some, but horrendous when they fill with water when submerged and they can't cope with high-intensity work, so your feet are bathed in a pool of hot sweat. IMO the issue high liability boots are good.
I was at the Royal Armories museum a while back. Chatting to one of the “living exhibit” guys about the perennial issues of footwear and load carrying.

Generally, the load for Infantry in marching order hadn’t varied much for centuries because it’s a good idea to have as much stuff as you can comfortably (kind of) carry every day.

Footwear is different. Back in the 18th C (this guy was being a British soldier fighting in N America against the traitors) the footwear was constructed more like a moccasin.

The idea was that in temperate climates-they generally didn’t fight in winter- wet feet dry out reasonably well if the mud/water can drain off.

Seems to make sense.