• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Alt-Berg Leder Gris; any good?

A small tin came with my recent boot purchase and Alt-Berg say they ONLY recommend that product; not saddle soap, Kiwi, etc.

Is it actually much good or is it a bit of marketing guff?

TIA

BB

To be fair, if it is pure marketing spiel, they've taken me in as I only ever use Leder Gris on my Altbergs.

But never had a complaint with Altbergs whatsoever so if partly this is due to Leder Gris only being applied, everyones a winner.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
There was a post about this from I think 'jonno-jonno' saying that due to the type of leather breathability etc etc that you should only use Leder gris

I use the "Leder melissa" in the big brown tub from Raiffeisen, cheap as chips and it works very well, smells like a North Korean knocking shop for a day or two, but my feet are dry!

i don't like that altberg stuff.
i prefer this http://img16.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/27/04/97/44/2704974417 i always use it for my boots (altberg and others)
and after that- i use the old, good nikwax wax (in metal tin). it's no longer produced, I have a couple of tins left so it will take the while before I'll try the new nikwax stuff (which may be applied on wet leather- and the old stuff shouldn't)

As I`m fluent in Spanish I can tell you that's pubic hair styling wax.

A small tin came with my recent boot purchase and Alt-Berg say they ONLY recommend that product; not saddle soap, Kiwi, etc.

Is it actually much good or is it a bit of marketing guff?

TIA

BB

I use it on my Matterhorns and they are rarely dry this time of year , it works okay but I doubt it would be much use if you need shiny shiny boots.

But how does Meindl sport wax fit in - as I got a free tub I'm using it on my Meindls after a day chasing wildlife on the moor, but would be happy to find a cheaper alternative? Suggestions welcome, so long as my feet stay dry.

Come on - don't just look at the headline price: it's a very small tub for £2.99..... (and no I'm not one of those North of the Border types), albeit I am tighter than a gnats chuff.

B

bokkatankie

I used to wear the boots I was issued and used what was sold in the NAAFI: you lot really are a bunch of tarts and kit whores!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Years ago when I first joined the RN, my grandfather gave me a very old party sized tub of something called Urad or possibly Yurad. With strict instructions that it was the absolute daddy for sorting out your boots.

It looked like axle grease, but **** me it did wonders on any sort of leather. A quick blob of that over your steaming bats and they'd be good as new.

It was like food for leather.

I haven't seen it for sale anywhere since.

B

bokkatankie

And you used to have wet feet, stimmt's?
Yes for whole weekend, sometimes my feet were wet for longer, the horror. And tell me how much has the MOD wasted on getting lovely new brown, desert or whatever the **** they come in nowadays (I believe they come in five shades now) boots for the troops. And yet you have BB, the weekend warrior of all time, wondering what dubbin to use on his altbergs.

At the same time you have 5m pages about PCS in out up down or 1m pages about the correct beret shape or 500 pages about gucci patches, daysacks, smocks and on and on.

You tarts are never satisfied.

Latest Threads