Alt-Berg Leder Gris; any good?

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Bravo_Bravo, Oct 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A small tin came with my recent boot purchase and Alt-Berg say they ONLY recommend that product; not saddle soap, Kiwi, etc.

Is it actually much good or is it a bit of marketing guff?

TIA

BB

2. To be fair, if it is pure marketing spiel, they've taken me in as I only ever use Leder Gris on my Altbergs.

But never had a complaint with Altbergs whatsoever so if partly this is due to Leder Gris only being applied, everyones a winner.

3. There was a post about this from I think 'jonno-jonno' saying that due to the type of leather breathability etc etc that you should only use Leder gris

4. i don't like that altberg stuff.
    i prefer this http://img16.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/27/04/97/44/2704974417 i always use it for my boots (altberg and others)
    and after that- i use the old, good nikwax wax (in metal tin). it's no longer produced, I have a couple of tins left so it will take the while before I'll try the new nikwax stuff (which may be applied on wet leather- and the old stuff shouldn't)

5. I use the "Leder melissa" in the big brown tub from Raiffeisen, cheap as chips and it works very well, smells like a North Korean knocking shop for a day or two, but my feet are dry!

6. As I`m fluent in Spanish I can tell you that's pubic hair styling wax.

7. I use it on my Matterhorns and they are rarely dry this time of year , it works okay but I doubt it would be much use if you need shiny shiny boots.

8. [​IMG]

Aye caramba....did you say pubic hair?

9. But how does Meindl sport wax fit in - as I got a free tub I'm using it on my Meindls after a day chasing wildlife on the moor, but would be happy to find a cheaper alternative? Suggestions welcome, so long as my feet stay dry.

10. Cheaper than £2.99 , FFS are you a porridge wog? Meindl Sport Wax :: Outdoor Gear :: Footwear :: Cleaning and Reproofing

11. Come on - don't just look at the headline price: it's a very small tub for £2.99..... (and no I'm not one of those North of the Border types), albeit I am tighter than a gnats chuff.

12. my brother used to use kiwi on his Alt-Bergs and the leather kept splitting they recommend legder gris

13. I used to wear the boots I was issued and used what was sold in the NAAFI: you lot really are a bunch of tarts and kit whores!

14. And you used to have wet feet, stimmt's?