Alphabet Soup

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Pebbles015, Aug 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did a search but couldn't find anything:

Basically certain symbols and punctuation show up as a string of other symbols.

Eg. The good old Great British Pound Sterling symbol shows up as a string consisting of £

is it others settings or mine, or maybe some cross platform thing with macs, phones and PC's?
  2. Trying it now with the £ symbol
  3. I sometimes..'';///?;' have the@@@* same ::"£@@; problem!::@:>>[[]
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

This should only be a problem in quite old posts - pre 2009 ish. It's to do with us changing software and upgrading without really knowing what we were doing! I'm sure we could update everything and cure it, but it's a pretty minor issue and there are not enough hours in the day.
  5. I can't do the pound or euro symbol.

£10 €20
  6. Well € seems ok.

& can have issues too
  7. £ &

Using windows 7 and google chrome

What you using snakey?
  8. HHH

HHH LE

I get the same problem and they are recent posts.

Using Windows 7 and IE.
  9. ££ $ me too

ie8 on xp
  10. Well I can see yours and mine normally but Mr Snakey's I can't.

Its quite a few symbols it does it on too so some peoples posts can really make you feel like your a mong reading the postings of a complete head biff
  11. Hang on, I tell a lie, its not doing it on this pc
    It does do it on my work pc though, thats chrome and xp
  12. Try 20GBP.
  13. Sounds like the character encoding is incorrectly set in either the vbulletin admin panel or the mySQL database.
  14. I'm no expert when it comes to operating systems but I have both a desk top and laptop at home and experience tells me that a lot of problems occur because of which system you're using and what sort of mood the web site is in.

EG: Yesterday my desktop wouldn't let me fully log in to ARRSE, first of all it said my broadband wasn't connected (I know it was because I had another tab open doing my banking) then when I got in there were no pictures / avatars / adverts etc just red crosses in their place. When I opened ARRSE on the laptop it was perfect.

Today both are running ARRSE ok.

Desktop: Windows vista home premium / IE.

Laptop: Windows 7 / IE