Alphabet Soup

Did a search but couldn't find anything:

Basically certain symbols and punctuation show up as a string of other symbols.

Eg. The good old Great British Pound Sterling symbol shows up as a string consisting of £

is it others settings or mine, or maybe some cross platform thing with macs, phones and PC's?

Trying it now with the £ symbol

This should only be a problem in quite old posts - pre 2009 ish. It's to do with us changing software and upgrading without really knowing what we were doing! I'm sure we could update everything and cure it, but it's a pretty minor issue and there are not enough hours in the day.

£ &

Using windows 7 and google chrome

What you using snakey?

I get the same problem and they are recent posts.

Using Windows 7 and IE.

££ $ me too

ie8 on xp
Well I can see yours and mine normally but Mr Snakey's I can't.

Its quite a few symbols it does it on too so some peoples posts can really make you feel like your a mong reading the postings of a complete head biff

Hang on, I tell a lie, its not doing it on this pc
It does do it on my work pc though, thats chrome and xp
I'm no expert when it comes to operating systems but I have both a desk top and laptop at home and experience tells me that a lot of problems occur because of which system you're using and what sort of mood the web site is in.

EG: Yesterday my desktop wouldn't let me fully log in to ARRSE, first of all it said my broadband wasn't connected (I know it was because I had another tab open doing my banking) then when I got in there were no pictures / avatars / adverts etc just red crosses in their place. When I opened ARRSE on the laptop it was perfect.

Today both are running ARRSE ok.

Desktop: Windows vista home premium / IE.

Laptop: Windows 7 / IE

interesting that it's a current problem and varies. I've just edited the characters in a couple of the posts above and as soon as I edit them it works OK, save again and the problems go away (for me), which makes me think it's the editor itself and browser compatibility. I'll do some looking in to it. I don't mind old problems, but would rather not introduce new ones in to the system.

mmmm.... just tried IE6 using the 3 different editor options and all characters worked fine for me. Could those who are finding them displaying strangely in their own posts tell me what system (OS / browser) you used to post them please? If any of the characters in this post, below, don't show correctly please also let me know also telling me OS and browser:

£ $ & € _ ' "

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
It happens to the occasional sig block too when I don't think it did before. This is BiscuitsAB's and I'm fairly certain it didn't show like this before:

Chrome and Windows 7 if it's any help.

It's working fine for me- Firefox and OpenSuSE 12.1 (linux); common denominator appears to be windows.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
mmmm.... just tried IE6 using the 3 different editor options and all characters worked fine for me. Could those who are finding them displaying strangely in their own posts tell me what system (OS / browser) you used to post them please? If any of the characters in this post, below, don't show correctly please also let me know also telling me OS and browser:

£ $ & € _ ' "
I can see them fine on my iPhone with ARRSE app.
£ $ & € _ ' "

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Poppy The Intelligence Cell 18
The_IRON REME 3
armourer ARRSEpedia 6